PDA

View Full Version : CO2 gauge problem

BC Mosaic
10-15-2009, 02:09 AM
It seemed like the needle valve on my CO2 gauge was sticking and so I soaked it overnight in vinegar. This morning it was nice and bright and freewheeling. I reassembled the unit and fired up the system (calcium reactor)and it seemed to again not produce a steady controlled bubble stream. The CO2 tank is not empty. Is it my solenoid then that is faulty? How do I check? Either item is pricey.
Thanks

mr.wilson
10-15-2009, 02:13 AM
You can buy new seals and repair it yourself or get it professionally rebuilt for a reasonable price at a welding or beverage supply company.

e46er
10-15-2009, 02:54 AM
IF the solenoid is faulty you would hear it clicking on and off ...... I'd bet it's the needle valve

fencer
10-15-2009, 03:00 AM
If it is just a guage go to princess auto and get one. You should not have to wash a gauge. I think it is your needle valve.

BC Mosaic
10-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys.

The solenoid is not clicking so it then must be the needle valve but if I open the neddle valve completely then I still don't get any bubbles for a bit and then a whole whack of streaming bubbles.

Fencer,
I soaked the needle valve and not the gauges themselves.

I've had this unit (Milwaukee) for 3 years, bought used for $120.00.

Mr. Wilson
Thanks for the info but it will probably be cheaper buying a new/used unit than getting it professionally fixed (?)

The Codfather
10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
The seat and disc can get worn fairly easy in a needle valve, especially if the alot of pressure is put on them. (eg- the valve is closed very tightly) Normally a needle valve has very fine throttling, as soon as the seat gets worn that ability is gone. HTH,
Bob

Pescador
10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
You could add a needle valve after the gauges it will probably give you finer control anyway.
This Red Sea needle valve (http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_CO2_Needle_Valve_CO2_Regulator_Replacement _Parts-Red_Sea-RS2319-FICORERP-vi.html) is working great for me.

Jason McK
10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I've heard similar issue with Milwaukee units

mr.wilson
10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I've heard similar issue with Milwaukee units

There are some problems with Milwaukee regulators, but they seem to be caused by a problem with order of operations. You need to open the fine tuning valve all the way when you open the pressure valve, then slowly shut it to where it (fine tuning valve) needs to be. Otherwise you blow the seals. New seals are about $10 and easy to replace.

You can usually buy used, rebuilt regulators for about $50-75, so they can't charge much to rebuild them. From the description of the sticky needle, I agree with the other suggestion that a new gauge from Princess Auto might be the way to go. If it was a seal issue the emergency bypass hole at the back of the unit would be leaking air and the needle would go to the top of the gauge.