PDA

View Full Version : Clams move?

wisesam
10-14-2009, 11:02 PM
I got a small maxima clam on the sandbed.
Last night i turned it so it faces the front for better viewing.
This morning it was 4 inches away from the original position.
I've never seen clams move like that or was it moved by something else?

untamed
10-14-2009, 11:05 PM
They move around...I don't know if it is intentional or not.

wisesam
10-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I see. I always thought they only do turns on the spot.
On the subject of clams, are they better to be placed on the sand or on the rock? I guess if they attach to the rocks, it would be hard to move them in the future. So for convenience, maybe it's better to put on the sand?

Any specie that prefers sand over rock or vice versa?

fkshiu
10-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Maximas and croceas prefer rockwork. Squamosas and the other type I can't remember the name of now prefer the sandbed.

untamed
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Well...when you see them in their natural habitat they are imbedded into rock. Never on the sand. I've kept mine on the sand for many years, but I think it leaves them more open to attack from below. Now, I'm hoping to get mine to attach themselves to my rock.

Myka
10-14-2009, 11:19 PM
My Squamosa is always moving around and annoying me! Everyday I turn it towards the front so you can see it, and everyday it turns itself away. I will win eventually...or so I keep telling myself! It was attached to a frag disk, but I peeled it off since it was crowding a frag. I put a new frag disk under it, but the clam doesn't like the new frag disk. When it was on the disk it didn't move everyday like it does now.

My Maxima on the other hand hasn't moved from where I put it in the sand. I have been considering moving it onto the rocks, but I'm not sure if it has attached itself to the bottom of the tank or not. If it has, I will just leave it alone.

fishytime
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a derasa that dang near caused an avalanche....it crawled between two supporting "pillars" of rock and was slowly "wedging" them apart....I just went in yesterday and moved the clam.... and fixed the "rock slide waiting to happen"...

Finding a flat or slightly cupped piece of rock is probably best...something small enough that you can move around and potentially add to your rock work. How deep is your sand bed? If its not to deep you could move some sand away and let it attach to the glass....really easy to move the clam if you ever have to.:biggrin:

wisesam
10-14-2009, 11:42 PM
That maxima was on a rock before, but something knocked it off. It torn some flesh off the clam. Luckily the clam didn't get hurt much. I suspect it's the evil hairy crab that dwells near by that did it.

My sandbed isn't too deep, maybe like 1 inch or so.
Once it's attached to the glass, how would you remove it without hurting it?

fishytime
10-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Razor blade to slice/scrape the foot off...