PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic or Glass Tanks

thanhjenn
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Any suggestions?

viperfish
10-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I had an acrylic nano and it seemed like I couldn't look at the thing without putting a scratch on it. I don't know if there are different grades of acrylic but this one was terrible. If the LR touches the glass or a pebble gets caught in the magnet the surface is toast. I see people spending huge amounts of money for very large tanks and I would go nuts worrying about damaging it.

sphelps
10-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Depends on preference, both have advantages over the other.

Glass for one is harder and doesn't scratch as easy. Glass tanks are often cheaper due to easier construction, thinner material requirements, and better supply.

Acrylic has the most advantages but the biggest disadvantage, it scratches easily but..
Scratches can be repaired (glass cannot)
Acrylic is much lighter than glass, it also insulates better, is impact resistant, has stronger seams and has superior clarity when compared to glass (especially with thicker material).

Also two main types of acrylic exist extruded and cast, cast is harder than extruded and will not scratch as easily.

fishoholic
10-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I had an acrylic tank I didn't find it scratched easy, but I was careful with it as I didn't want to put scratches on it. What annoyed me about acrylic was what a PITA is was to clean. I love my easy blade scraper for my glass tank, so much easier to clean.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Acrylic is only recommended (IMHO & IME) for very large FOWLR tanks due to the weight savings and clarity.

Otherwise, for sw, with reef tanks & their high Ca levels, glass is the better choice since the coraline algae growth will cause you to scratch the hell out of your acrylic getting it off the viewing panels. Any little grain of sand on the scrubber pad or magnet cleaner will scratch up your tank as well.

Anthony

sphelps
10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I would agree glass is better suited for the traditional SW tank. You can also use starphire glass to help with clarity, tanks weigh a ton anyway with water, and better insulation may not be a good thing.

Joe Reefer
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Acrylic is only recommended (IMHO & IME) for very large FOWLR tanks due to the weight savings and clarity.

Otherwise, for sw, with reef tanks & their high Ca levels, glass is the better choice since the coraline algae growth will cause you to scratch the hell out of your acrylic getting it off the viewing panels. Any little grain of sand on the scrubber pad or magnet cleaner will scratch up your tank as well.

Anthony

+1 well said

globaldesigns
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a glass tank, and would only consider glass.... It still scratches, but don't have to worry as much as with acrylic.

Those both have their pros and cons though, so it is personal preference.

Eyford01
10-15-2009, 04:48 AM
well my 55g is acrylic (just happened to find a good deal on a used one) but my main ups and downs are as follows

-harder to clean i have to use my safeway club card the magnet scrubber scratches
-cant keep chitons or urchins as they mark up the acrylic and may eat a hole right through it given enough time

+lifetime guarentee to never break or leak helps me sleep well at night (clarity plus brand)

fkshiu
10-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Unless it is a gi-normous tank, then glass simply because acrylic scratches are a royal PITA.

thanhjenn
10-15-2009, 05:45 AM
thanks for the feedback guys. looks like its going to be glass.