PDA

View Full Version : Glass drilling question

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 02:21 AM
I have a new tank that has a sticker on the bottom saying "tempered glass - DO NOT DRILL" Is it really a no no to drill it? Or is that just a manufacturers friendly advice?

kari
08-22-2003, 02:48 AM
I would say take the friendly advise. Standard bits will not work for you. I'm curious, where did you find a tempered glass tank with the friendly sticker? If its only the bottom that is tempered, its not a big problem.

StirCrazy
08-22-2003, 02:59 AM
you cannot drill tempered glass no mater what kind of bit you have. the tempering process puts glass under different internal streases and also hardens it. atempts to drill tempered glass always end in the glass shattering.

find out if it is just the bottom or the whole tank that is tempered. if it is just the bottom you can have a side drilled.

Steve

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 04:06 AM
if it is just the bottom you can have a side drilled.

It is just the bottom that is tempered. So how would I incorporate a overflow drilled into the side. I haven't seen this done. Is it as effective and does it look ok? Can you direct me to pics or post one with a side overflow?

Thanks

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 04:09 AM
I'm curious, where did you find a tempered glass tank with the friendly sticker?

It is an All-Glass aquarium. It just came with a friendly note.

Troy F
08-22-2003, 04:11 AM
Ryan, Marc had the back drilled in his 155gal and I really liked the way it looked. You'd have to ask him on how much flow and such it would handle but he never really did anything small and there was a Jacuzzi pump returning water from the sump.

StirCrazy
08-22-2003, 04:26 AM
mine is drilled on the end. basicly you put a bulkhead in with a durso and silicone a overflow box to the inside. I will try get some pics of what I am talking about but it might be a week or two. I never used the internal overflow box on mine so I am installing it when I move the tank.

Steve

Aquattro
08-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Marc had the back drilled in his 155gal and I really liked the way it looked.

Adam has this tank now and it's empty. Maybe he can take a pic and post it.

Adam??

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 04:39 AM
Ok. So people do do this. I am debating if I want to drill my tank before I start. It's only a 46 G so I don't really want to lose real estate, but then again, do I want to rely on a hang on overflow when I get enough money to get a sump setup. I really like the research end of this hobby and the complexity of the various setups, but I had no idea it would be this involved when I decided to take it up. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
it's never ending!! :confused:

Buccaneer
08-22-2003, 04:52 AM
I built a overflow on my tank 12" wide ( 300G so YMMV as to what size you do ) and about 5 or 6 inches deep on a 45 degree angle with a bulkhead right behind it ... works great and skims the surface real good

Here is a rough drawing of it ...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=80

Cheers

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 05:41 AM
I think I get it rasta but I'm not sure... could you post a couple of pics if you get a chance? Do you just have one hole drilled with a 1/2" bulkhead? is the overflow made from acrylic?

Buccaneer
08-22-2003, 06:10 AM
I have 2 X 2" bulkheads and I made the overflow out of 1/4" glass ... the size of the overflow and the size of the bulkhead will be determined by how much water you want to turnover ( ie size of the return pump ) ... by using 2 Bulkheads on mine it might be overkill but at least if I want to upgrade the pump later on I can handle the flow.

Will see if I can post some pics tomorrow ( fishies are asleep :rolleyes: )

Cheers

ryan_p
08-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Will see if I can post some pics tomorrow

That would be great!! I look forward to seeing them.[/quote]

DJ88
08-22-2003, 05:36 PM
THis thread has a drawing of mine for external dursos. as well as a few photos.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201650&highlight=durso

Toooloud
09-09-2003, 07:47 PM
i had the same thing, Got a 30G tall tank, allglass.. and it has the temperard bottom so i drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole in the top corner of the tank.. Becouse im running a 33G refugium i attached some pictures.. what i did was drill the hole installed the bulkhead and made a overflow box and siliconed it into the tank..

Works very well!

This here is crappy shot of the overflow box i made.. lol installed

http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246Overflow_30g__002-med.jpg

and then here is the bulkhead installed and the plumbing!
http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246Overflow_30g__001.jpg

This is a shot of the sump/refugium
http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246Sump_Aug8_.jpg

pocilipora
09-19-2003, 05:31 AM
I think with that size of tank your not going to need an overflow box for surface skimming. Just drill a hole in the top, center, at the back. Then have a 90 degree elbow, upside down attached to a bulkhead. If you have good current an overflow box would not be needed. All you would see is an elbow.