PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss something/

Ian
10-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Well I picked up a beauty of a small niger trigger to go on my 90 gallon in the hopes of growing it up and moving it to a much larger aquarium when I get it. It acclimated fine and was eating like a pig. came home today to a missing fish, short search and I have my first carpet surfer....
In anything I read about these fish jumping is not something I remember seeing as a common issue. Did I just get unlucky or did \i miss something important.
I need to know because this is a fish that I really love and want to keep so another is in my near future...maybe

tlo
10-14-2009, 02:55 AM
I have never owned one, but have read lots of stories about these guys going carpet surfing. Egg crate is often suggested as a cover, but I have had fish jump with this on. I guess it is so light they just "bump" it out of the way. I finally made a canopy to keep my jumpers in the tank.

fishoholic
10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
While obviously it is something that can happen, I don't think triggers are known jumpers. I had one for a little while and it never showed any signs of jumping.

viperfish
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I have had a Niger for a year and it does hang out at the top quite a bit but doesn't try to jump or go near the overflow.

globaldesigns
10-14-2009, 09:02 PM
I think ALL fish can jump, therefore we all take a risk... I myself don't have a cover and have had my share of expensive casaulties.