PDA

View Full Version : mg/kh problem

barthsimson
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
hi all.
i have problem with mg and kh. i have 55gal tank. my problem is i cant raise the mg and decrease the kh. my mg was 1150 after i have spend a bottle of tailored mg it went to 1200. any little tip help me a lot. thanks.
little info about system
55 gal display tank
20 gal sump
1.023 salinity
ph 8.0
cal 430
kh 16
mg 1200
po4 0
ammonia nitrite 0
reef crystal salt
25 degree

fishytime
10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Are you adding something for DKH?

globaldesigns
10-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Hello Barthsimson, welcome to canreef!

In regards to your problem, usually MG and KH are not related, so are you talking about trying to decrease your KH also while trying to raise your MG? Also how old is your system?

While tailored aquatics is good, I found it too expensive for what it is... And some LFS (no names mentioned) charge way too much for it. I personally use SeaChem MG crystals from jlaquatics.com. A 2.2KG of crystals is only $23 and treats over 2,500 Gallons, so it would last you some time.

I would use the above mentioned for your MG requirements... Remember that Strontium is also an element that needs to be replenished and runs hand-in-hand with MG... I don't personally test for Strontium, but if my system needs MG, I dose Strontium also as required. Seachem also has Strontium crystals (1KG) for $13... This will do 5,000 Gallons. If you don't have coral, you really don't need to supplement MG or STR.

In regards to your KH/PH problem, your parameters look good overall, except for MG (of course), but I notice your PH is low also... PH and KH do work together and raising your PH to a proper level of 8.3 should help to lower your KH level to acceptable levels. I run my KH at 7-8, but I run Zeovit, most others may recommend 10-12 KH for non-Zeovit systems. Usually if your PH is in check your KH will be also, but if not then you can supplement to raise or lower that, but I would work on your PH levels before tackling your KH.

Before buying anything to alter your PH, try doing some water changes, say a couple over a couple days of about 15-20%... Then give it a day and take another test reading of your PH and KH, hopefully things settle to acceptable ranges with water changes only.

I hope this helps.

barthsimson
10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
i am not adding anything fr kh. but i am adding marine buffer for ph. it says it will increase ph and kh. but my kh is still same. ph was 7.8. it increased 0.2. right now it is 8.0. and my system is about 11 weeks old. i am not changing the the water bi-weekly. i am changing every week around 10%. also i dont have any corals. i am just trying to get the right water parameters for the first corals or mushrooms. never done anything for strontium yet. i ve just heard (from an aquarist, gold aquarium in calgary) i dont have worry for the strontium right now. he said after i add any corals,mushrooms, i shpuld worry strontium, iodine and other trace elements. but i ll give it a try how you said globaldesigns. 15-20 % water change in couple days and take 1-2 days off and try test the water again. thnks for your help guys.

untamed
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't know how you are measuring pH, but if you were able to measure it every hour over 24 hours you would find that it rises/falls in a daily cycle. It might change by .5 or more...and that is very normal

So...your measured "change" between 7.8 and 8.0 might not really be a change at all and might just be related to the time of day you took the measurement. pH rises when your lights come on and falls when they go off.

I would also add that IMO, don't attempt to manipulate your pH with additives until you've got a lot more experience. Start by focussing your attention on Alk (KH) and Ca. In fact, that buffer you are adding is mostly about Alk. It's affect on pH would only be a side effect of it's additional Alk (crude summarization...).

However, rather than adding "buffer" and impacting your Alk...you should be using an additive system that is contributing both Ca and Alk. After that, changing Alk or Ca independently should be something you do relatively infrequently.

You are likely to be fine with Strontium, Iodine and trace elements which will be supplied in your water changes.