PDA

View Full Version : Show us your eels

fishoholic
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
As leducreef had mentioned eels, I thought I'd start a picture thread on them.

Here is some pic.'s of my dwarf golden moray eel.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1478.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1556.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1490.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1491.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1494.jpg

Delphinus
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Ooh! Awesome! Looks great!

I don't have the photos I would want of mine yet, mostly because when he comes out, I'm all .. "Ooh! Awesome!" and just want to watch instead of fiddle with the camera. I need to get a video of him feeding; I might need to enlist some extra hands for that.

Here's my offering for the moment:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P1010003.jpg

no_bs
10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I can't send one of my white ribbon eel cause he went in the overflow, ground up in pump and bits and pieces through out. Poor guy. What a mess, my pump was almost burning itself out.

Delphinus
10-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Ok got some quick and dirty video tonight. I'm no cinematographer but I managed somehow to hold the prongs and the camera together and not drop one - although I came close in the second clip: check it out, I think it's kind of funny anyhow. :lol:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/th_P1010003-1.jpg (http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/?action=view&current=P1010003-1.flv)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/th_P1010004-1.jpg (http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/?action=view&current=P1010004-1.flv)

leducreef
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
ok here are mine lol
i have to try to get some better pics
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1756
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1757

Abbyreefer
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
awsome vid delphinus

fishoholic
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
awsome vid delphinus

+1

Is that the squid you're feeding him? How did you manage to keep the prongs so still? I try to feed mine with those type of prongs but the second I move the prongs (at all) my eel gets scared and goes back into his hole in the rock, and by then my other fish figure out what I'm up too and eat it. I keep putting food into one of the holes in the rock he stays in and I think he eats the food I put in there for him, but it would be cool to see him eat it off of the prongs.

Delphinus
10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
In that video it was the squid, I sort of did a spur of the moment "Hey I should try filming him" after I had already fed him some mysis in the same manner. In fact I'm more feeding him mysis now, I cut up the sheets of it and keep it in an old margarine container in the freezer so I just grab two cubes (smallish, say 3/8" - 1/2" square), throw one in the tank for general consumption and then quickly put the other in the prongs before it's even thawed, this way it thaws in the tank and stays together long enough for the eel to come out (since after the first cube gets put in, he smells the food and starts coming out). But I also feed flake and nori at the same time, so the tank is almost overwhelmed with food. The others in the tank are so focused on chasing down the loose food they don't notice the prongs right away and by the time they do, I've got the end into that opening between the rock and clam and none of them can really get at it in there so they go for the easier pickings. I guess I must have gotten lucky in that the eel has associated the prongs with food because he's not the least bit scared of them?? He definitely doesn't get all the mysis, he spills a lot much to the merriment of his tankmates but he's definitely getting some.

I was thinking that an other idea might be to put a spin on the "nori PVC pipe" idea - take a piece of say 1/2" or maybe 3/4" PVC, say 3"-4" in length, cap it on one end, drill a hole and attach some fishing line (so it's easy to pull out), and jam some mysis or other food down the open end, and jam it to the other end, and then just put it in the tank in a low flow spot or near the favourite burrow opening ... theoretically the eel would be the only one capable of pulling food out of it. I haven't tried it yet but maybe that could work for you?

The previous eel I had, man, he didn't eat for like 2 months, or at least, I didn't *see* him eat. So they are capable of lasting a realllllly long time without evidence of eating. When he finally did start, it was either the cubed squid or a piece of oyster that finally convinced him. I see now though, now that I have this guy, that my choice of foods was probably a good part of the problem back then. He's just not interested in anything that's too "tough" to bite through, and even silversides are too tough (or at least, "not tender enough"). I'd offer mussels and oysters now but I know I will have a hard time getting that past the tang to him because he also looooooves the clam on the half shell.

Good luck!

fishoholic
10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks Tony, I'm pretty sure I sort of saw my eel eat a silverside. What happened was I put the silverside into the hole he was hidding in, and a few minutes later I saw the silverside moving up and down and up and down. I'm guessing it was moving around because he was eating it. I usually thaw the mysis first, I'll try leaving it in a frozen chunk and see if it works better. I do feed the others first but they eat fast and are big pigs so hopefully the eel will get some before it all thaws and the others come around.

globaldesigns
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
K, I have to ask everyone here then:

1.) Do you have coral with them?
2.) Are your tanks covered?

Reason is that I would love to have one, but don't want it carpet surfing and I have alot of coral...

If I can have one, I want a smaller version, what would you recommend?

muck
10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Only smaller eel Id recommend would be a golden dwarf... which seems to be popular in this thread.
Don't have any first hand experience with them so I'll defer to Tony, Laurie and others that have kept them. ;)

Delphinus
10-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Corals would be totally fine with any eel - with the caveat that they're gonna poop lots so your tank needs to be able to handle the extra load. Other than that though, corals aren't at risk. What is at risk is any critter that can fit inside their mouth.

The golden dwarf eel is small though. They are the same size, more or less, as a pencil, and as such, there's not much that can fit inside their mouths. They max out at 12" long. Mine is around 7".

But eels are notorious for getting out as they are curious about anything they can stick their heads into. I had a golden dwarf in a 20g tank last year, I had that thing locked down with covers and he still managed to get out (and perished :cry:)

This guy I have in a 30" tall tank and the rockwork only extends up around 14" or so, so there is at least 15" of open water. So far, he is not interested in swimming out in the open, they know they are small and thus they are pretty shy. The only cover I have is eggcrate and I'm fairly certain it would not stop him if he wanted out. However I think the height of the water column in this case helps a bit.

The next smallest eel, IIRC, is the snowflake. I hear of many reefs keeping these. Although they are usually available in the 8" size, they do top out around 24" so I think they would be a little more adept at crawling out. And I would think they are big enough to take down things like cleaner shrimp and whatnot, although I'm not positive on that one.

A canopy should help, I would think. I don't think they jump per se as they slither out. It would be fairly difficult to slither UP a canopy wall though, so I think a canopy with the holes covered up (foam or whatever) is a good idea.

Usually the bigger eels seem to require FOWLR setups and I imagine it's really the poop issue and the "will eat anything that fits" issue that really drives that.

That about sums up my total knowledge on the topic though. Others out there may have "more better advices." :)

zulu_principle
10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/oceanaquatics_photos/?action=view&current=P1040985.flv

Jim Feeding eels !

Wendell

Myka
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Tony, your video is awesome!! Your eel rocks too, much brighter than most specimens I have seen!

I have read of the Yellow Dwarf eating small fish like gobies, even as large as a firefish. For this reason I hesitate to put one in my tank for fear of my Jawfish and Blue Assessor being eaten as both are small and stick in their holes/caves/rockwork where the Eel would be. I would REALLY like to have one though! I also have several little critters like small crabs and small comensal shrimp that I think would be goners.

leducreef
10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
i can tell you
that snowflakes really like to try to get out lol
but mine is geting fairly big now and has never ate my fish or crabs

Myka
10-14-2009, 11:33 PM
My friend's Snowflake ate his two clownfish.

leducreef
10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
thats crazy i keep mine well fed though

Delphinus
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Gaaah!!! Wendell, are those dragon morays?? Those look AWESOME!!

Myka - I have in this same tank an orchid dottyback. I was a little nervous at first about this guy but it seems the eel at this point is lower on the totem pole, if you can believe it. Both are rock burrow/cave dwellers so they sort of occupy the same territory and the dottyback is definitely not pleased about sharing, and will chase the eel if he pokes his head out too close to the orchid dottyback. I can see now though at this size, the eel cannot open his mouth enough anyhow. I even tried feeding him some sand eels, which are a fish about the size of a typical danio or tetra or something (maybe a little longer, but the same diameter/girth). He sized it up, and decided against it after he found he couldn't open up wide enough.

Perhaps as they get bigger it becomes a worry though.

I personally would also be worried about them in small tanks. Definitely need a canopy I think - losing my old one was a devastating loss especially after I thought I had taken enough steps to make his tank escape proof. In retrospect it was a mistake to make the overflow eel-proof - I'd much rather an eel find his way into the sump than onto the floor. :neutral:

Tony, your video is awesome!! Your eel rocks too, much brighter than most specimens I have seen!

I have read of the Yellow Dwarf eating small fish like gobies, even as large as a firefish. For this reason I hesitate to put one in my tank for fear of my Jawfish and Blue Assessor being eaten as both are small and stick in their holes/caves/rockwork where the Eel would be. I would REALLY like to have one though! I also have several little critters like small crabs and small comensal shrimp that I think would be goners.

tonyntuyet
10-15-2009, 02:15 AM
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/tonyntuyet/08102009616.jpg

i'm having trouble feeding him, i try to feed feeders and krill but no luck, any recomendations?

Delphinus
10-15-2009, 02:45 AM
How about an oyster or a mussel maybe?

tonyntuyet
10-15-2009, 02:53 AM
How about an oyster or a mussel maybe?

yea he loves that but i only want to give them that as a treat :lol:

kipsix
10-15-2009, 04:29 AM
The next smallest eel, IIRC, is the snowflake. I hear of many reefs keeping these. Although they are usually available in the 8" size, they do top out around 24" so I think they would be a little more adept at crawling out. And I would think they are big enough to take down things like cleaner shrimp and whatnot, although I'm not positive on that one.

Don't forget Richardson's (sp?) Eels, they only get to about 12". As well as, if I recall correctly, a Mottled Eel (?) also stays around 12".

I have a golden dwarf, richardson's and a white eye in my tank. I know that they have eaten a sand sifting goby, peppermint shrimp and whatever crabs wind up in the tank. My richardson's also eats the occasional hermit crab.

Sorry no pic to contribute. :sad:

Delphinus
10-15-2009, 05:42 AM
I thought mottled eels were more like 24" max size? I could be wrong on that. I don't think I've heard of a Richardson's eel though. Sure you can't muster a photo? Come on, if *I* could manage a crude video, surely you can manage a photo. :p (The gauntlet is thrown! The challenge is uttered! ;) ) Or at least a latin id on the species name maybe?

kipsix
10-16-2009, 05:51 AM
I thought mottled eels were more like 24" max size? I could be wrong on that. I don't think I've heard of a Richardson's eel though. Sure you can't muster a photo? Come on, if *I* could manage a crude video, surely you can manage a photo. :p (The gauntlet is thrown! The challenge is uttered! ;) ) Or at least a latin id on the species name maybe?

Alright:

Richardson's Moray - Gymnothorax richarsonii (around 12-16")
Mottled Moray - Echidna delicatula (up to about 16")
Golden Dwarf Moray - Gymnothorax melatremus (up to 12")

(Thanks to Coral Magazine, their recent article on Eels brought the Mottled Moray to my attention.)

Well I found a pic of the Golden Dwarf from when he/she was housed in my BC29. Found a pic of the Richardson's when I first got him. Tried to take a pic of the White Eye this evening, but I don't get home till the lights are out, and by then he's cruising the tank look for 'lost' inverts.

Next time I feed them I'll try to get a shot of all three.

lastlight
10-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow those dragon eels are off the hook! They seem to be pretty dang aggressive!

And for the record Tony gave me a chance to look at his eel in person the other day. It's a lot bigger than it looks online =) What I'm driving at Tony is awesome video and I hope your success with him continues!

Lance
10-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Tony and Wendel, those videos are great! Thanks for that.

fishoholic
10-16-2009, 08:04 PM

I have sexy shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, anemone crab, green clown goby, and a few other small gobies and blennies and my dwarf golden moray eel shows no interest in them.

K, I have to ask everyone here then:

1.) Do you have coral with them?
2.) Are your tanks covered?

Reason is that I would love to have one, but don't want it carpet surfing and I have alot of coral...

If I can have one, I want a smaller version, what would you recommend?

My dwarf golden moray stays mostly in one of 3 different rocks he likes to hide in. He is in my reef tank and leaves the corals alone. My tank is not covered but I have a 7 inch cap on the top of my tank and I put gutter gaurd up to cover the overflow box.

Great pic.'s and vid.'s everyone :biggrin: Keep them coming.

Delphinus
10-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Mine had his first sump surfing lesson last night!!!

THAT didn't take long. I knew something was up last night when he didn't come out for food, but I couldn't find him anywhere and thought, oh well, maybe he's just not hungry. I checked the filter sock in the sump but he was not there. This morning before work, I sat and watched the tank, lights were off still but fish were all active anyhow - I could find everyone but him, so tried food again - nope no reaction. Now I'm sure something's up, so I did a sweep search of the floor 5' from each direction of the tank, checked the filter sock again - nope, nothing ... so I'm checking every nook and cranny to see if he's gotten himself stuck under a rockslide or something. Nothing! Finally catch a glimpse of a yellow tail under the sump return pump.

Sooo... he's back in the DT again but man, that didn't take long (only had him for a month or so). I am *so* relieved I finished off the "eel fence canopy" because I'm sure between a choice of going into the overflow and over the tank, any sane fish would choose the "over the tank" option (the overflows are not really THAT easy to get into). I'm surprised he found his way out of the filter sock, but I'm glad he's safe and sound one way or the other.

Do not, do not, do not (!!!) underestimate these guy's abilities to get out of your tank!!!!! Close off every potential opportunity - it's only a matter of time before they find the ways out IMO..

fishoholic
10-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Mine had his first sump surfing lesson last night!!!

THAT didn't take long. I knew something was up last night when he didn't come out for food, but I couldn't find him anywhere and thought, oh well, maybe he's just not hungry. I checked the filter sock in the sump but he was not there. This morning before work, I sat and watched the tank, lights were off still but fish were all active anyhow - I could find everyone but him, so tried food again - nope no reaction. Now I'm sure something's up, so I did a sweep search of the floor 5' from each direction of the tank, checked the filter sock again - nope, nothing ... so I'm checking every nook and cranny to see if he's gotten himself stuck under a rockslide or something. Nothing! Finally catch a glimpse of a yellow tail under the sump return pump.

Sooo... he's back in the DT again but man, that didn't take long (only had him for a month or so). I am *so* relieved I finished off the "eel fence canopy" because I'm sure between a choice of going into the overflow and over the tank, any sane fish would choose the "over the tank" option (the overflows are not really THAT easy to get into). I'm surprised he found his way out of the filter sock, but I'm glad he's safe and sound one way or the other.

Do not, do not, do not (!!!) underestimate these guy's abilities to get out of your tank!!!!! Close off every potential opportunity - it's only a matter of time before they find the ways out IMO..

So glad I put gutter guard up around my overflow. Although mine barely pokes his head out of the rock he lives in. I have a "feeding" station now in that rock. I stuff food into one hole of the rock and he moves from his spot to eat it, then he goes back to his spot again. Everynow and then he will go into a different rock (there are 3 he likes) but the one I feed him the most in is the one he likes the best.

Delphinus
10-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I probably should have mentioned that I have gutter guards on my overflows already. :p

I think basically unless it's glued down they'll find a way.

The bottom line though is I'd rather he find his way into the overflow and eventually the sump, rather than the floor. Inconvenience (of having to fish him out of there) trumps heartbreak.

whatcaneyedo
10-30-2009, 02:28 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture138.jpg

Delphinus
10-30-2009, 02:33 AM
That's awesome! How long is he?

Nice Gorgonia ventilana in the background too. :)

whatcaneyedo
10-30-2009, 03:10 AM
That's awesome! How long is he?

Nice Gorgonia ventilana in the background too. :)

I've had the snowflake for about 4 years. He is just over 2' but rarely comes out in full view to show off his length or to have his picture taken...

I'm very happy with the gorgonia ventilana. A friend and I ordered one each from The Reef Shoppe back in January not knowing if they would do very well. But its coming along just fine and has added about 1" of new growth all the way around.

Delphinus
06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/eel_20100609_2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/eel_20100609_1.jpg

kien
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
oh.. um.. not quite the thread I was expecting.. :redface: nice eels tho!

whatcaneyedo
06-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Slightly newer pictures.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture683.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture686.jpg