PDA

View Full Version : my new 75 gaoon tank

zuzes20011
10-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey guys just thought i would show you a pic of my new tank that i got and set up this weekend i bought the tank stand 40 galon sump and pump for 620 and then built the canapy for 120 i put 300w halogen lights in for now witch cost 10 bucks as i was way over budget all ready well tell me what you think

hillegom
10-12-2009, 04:35 AM
I don't think halogen bulbs are at the right Kelvin for corals. So they will be alright for a while. Probably grow lots of algae
edit: halogen bulbs are from 3000 to 3500 degrees Kelvin. You want something higher, like at least 6700.
If the budget is really tight, try, for now, daylight compact flourescents. Home depot, 6500 deg K.

zuzes20011
10-12-2009, 05:59 AM
hey thanks i did the flourscents after i fried my t5s and cant stand the spectrom they give off i clean my tank every day and i plan on going back for the outher halogen this one is 3000 the outher one is 5000 and its only 15 bucks as for coral i dont have coral in my tank just a fish haven one day i might put coral in but not to day

banditpowdercoat
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Halogen will grow Algae Really well. Not much of anything else. What T5's did you have that you didnt like the spectrum? You know they make T5 bulbs in ALL ranges. Halogens are around 4700-5500K which is perfect for growing algae.

hillegom
10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Halogen will grow Algae Really well. Not much of anything else. What T5's did you have that you didnt like the spectrum? You know they make T5 bulbs in ALL ranges. Halogens are around 4700-5500K which is perfect for growing algae.

Ok I guess they have changed the Kelvin of halogens. I got my info from

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ElaineDevora.shtml

banditpowdercoat
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok I guess they have changed the Kelvin of halogens. I got my info from

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ElaineDevora.shtml

LOL, I was quoting off the top of my head, but ya there LOWER than my statement, which is WORSE LOL or better, if growing algae is what you wana do

kien
10-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Original poster never said anything about growing corals :-) Just because someone fills a tank with salt water doesn't mean they are going to throw corals into it :-)

Great looking tank, looking forward to seeing what you end up stocking it with!

zuzes20011
10-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Well thank you kien there are all sorts of tanks i dont no were people got the notion that i was puting coral in my tank i put in a light that after spending nearly 800 dollers i could aford i put up a pic of my new tank witch is what this forum is about and it seems all any one can do is complain about what light i have in my tank im sorry but no every one can afford to go buy everything at once you start off slow and work your way up i spent a lot of time working on that canapy and whanted to see what people thought but i gess i got my answer thanks every one and remind me not to post agen

banditpowdercoat
10-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Didn'e mean to offend, but seriously. Only trying to help. You have to have kinda thick skin when posting on these kind of forums. becasue not everyone thinks alike and someones bound to say something you don't agree with. If you think Canreef is bad for that, check out some other marine sites. This is the only one I constantly visit. There's a reason for that :D

Best of luck with your tank

Reef_kid
10-13-2009, 02:52 AM
if you want a better blue look or white look you could try the energy saver 54 watt light bulb 6500K ... it is really bright and a few of them would really light the tank up
you can even add a few actinic strips or t5 if you ever want to try reef

Carmen
10-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Very Nice looking tank! Stand and Canopy are beautiful!

hillegom
10-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Sorry for mentioning that halogen lights will grow algae.
When you said "tell me what you think" Thats what I did. I did not know whether you had corals or not. Just giving my opinion after you asked.

zuzes20011
10-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Sorry for mentioning that halogen lights will grow algae.
When you said "tell me what you think" Thats what I did. I did not know whether you had corals or not. Just giving my opinion after you asked.

i asked what people thought i did not ask every one to ambush me becas of the type of light i chose to use and thats all any one has done

zuzes20011
10-13-2009, 06:09 AM
pls close forum

lastlight
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Setup looks good so far. I don't think anyone was out of line here. You supplied next to no info about what you planned to do with the tank and people gave suggestions as best they could including suggesting other low-cost solutions until you can afford metal haildes etc.