PDA

View Full Version : Reef tank electrical requirements

Palmer
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I was reading a SW reefkeeping book and it recomended having dedicated electrical set up for a reef tank. I am no electrician but I know the requirements should vary a lot depending on the size of tank and components you are going to keep. I am planning a tank that will be 60 G with a 20 G sump. I am going to use a 250 W MH unit (one bulb) that also has some fluorescent lighing (not HO/T5.) Assuming a couple of powerheads and a skimmer/heater etc etc could I run it off of a typical electrical outlet?

I wasn't sure if the book I was reading was speaking in the context of much larger tanks since it does not say.

Happy Turkey Day,

Palmer

Skimmerking
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
ya hey man 1 should be plenty for what you are going to use it for , i had one to for my 65 gal setup with a single 250w... and 2x 300w heaters and skimmer and t-5 lighting with the 250 MH plus a mag 12 for a return

Delphinus
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes you can run it off a single outlet but be wary about anything else on the circuit. It's amazing how fast things can add up.

e46er
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
that wont be a problem

on my bedroom circuit i have a 33G freshwater planted tank
my 120G salt tank running 2-150W MH a flatscreen tv computer and a minifridge on a 15amp breaker and all runs fine mind you my heaters dont run that often the lights and pumps keep the water around 78

bvlester
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
be sure to use a ground faul (GFCI)receptical they can be installed by anyone and they are no harder than installing a regular receptical. It just insures that if any moisture is present at the receptical, or there is a short it will trip the little trip fuse you then find the problem and reset the fuse. i use one that has a little light that comes on if it has been triped. The ones I use are from cooper it is a ShockSentry GFCI.

Bill

MrsBugmaster
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
+1 on the GFCI. It saved me when I had a over flow and lost 5 gals of water from my tank and it ran down the tank equipment wires right into the outlet :cry: Also if you ever change to using T-5"s or other fluorescent lights they may cause interference with tv picutre if they are on the same circuit. Dedicated is best but not always an option so make sure it is at least a GFCI outlet.

bvlester
10-12-2009, 02:26 AM
You can use an isolation transformer to stop the interference with other electrcal appliances or a realy good battery backup system. also T5's can interfear because of the frequency they operate as in not cycles per hour. florecent lights and Hi output lights work at different frequencies and can afect different things differently. Tig welder can interfier with radios up to I believe it is around 1 mile or so exspetaly if the building grounding is poor. or coroded.

Bill

Palmer
10-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info everyone I will look at repalcing the current outlet with a GFCI. I'm just glad I do not need to add the price of hiring an electrician to this tank build!

Palmer

mike31154
10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Although a single outlet will likely work for your set up, it's always better if you can distribute the load between at least two outlets. They don't necessarily need to be dedicated, especially if you are using two that are on different circuit breakers. This will give you some redundancy especially when using a GFCI device, which is quite sensitive. If you're not home when a breaker or GFCI trips, running on two separate circuits may just save the bacon... err fish.

A single 15 amp circuit can handle a maximum of 1800 watts, but that's not continuously. 1500 watts is a better number safety wise if you're going to calculate your load on a 15 amp breaker. Keep in mind that if you use an existing outlet, other devices will occasionally affect this circuit. A worthwhile investment of about $12 will get you the "Electrical Code Simplified" (residential) published by PS Knight. Should be available at most Home Reno outlets. This will provide you with a wealth of understandable info on wiring requirements.

Hold on, just checked my edition and they have a website:

http://www.psknight.com/

KrazyKuch
10-13-2009, 04:23 AM
A single 15 amp circuit can handle a maximum of 1800 watts, but that's not continuously. 1500 watts is a better number safety wise if you're going to calculate your load on a 15 amp breaker.

Actually code requires you to only load your circuits to 80% which means for a 15amp breaker you can only load it to 1440Watts....but trade practice is 1200Watts

fkshiu
10-13-2009, 04:33 AM
If you're running everything off of the same outlet you'd have all your eggs in one basket; and we all know what happens when you do that . . .