PDA

View Full Version : green algae on live rock

mrcopitr
03-19-2002, 12:38 AM
Hi Guys,

My new reef has been up and running for 5 weeks now....the rock are cured and my snails and crabs are doing fine and the red lip blenny is taking care of filamentuous algae that are growing on the glass....but since a few days I have been noticing green algae growing on my rock..particularly on the rock which tend to be white in color...this green algae resemble coraline algae...it is something I could not crape off or removed by hand like you can usually do with other type of filament algae. I'm using r/o di water, the skimmer is going strong and I've been doing regularly (twice a week...30 gal water cahnges)..my tank is a 86 gal....

I'm running power compact for about 8 hours a day....

Is this green algae a normal occuring in a new reef tank...

Thank you all

Marco

mrcopitr
03-19-2002, 12:42 AM
Should I start dosing kalkwaser so that the coraline algae can take over???????

Seaquest
03-19-2002, 01:00 AM
Hi

Your tank is going to take as much as six to twelve months to mature if that, and in that time you are going to see many types of algae types come and go. With your green algae keep it off your viewing panels and in time it will vanish and coraline algae will begin to appear. If there is nothing in your tank to utelise the Kalkwasser why use it now, wait for at least three months befor you start adding chemicals and only if there needed. Use test kits to measure and add apropiate amounts. read up on coraline algaes and whta they require for growth. If you have a freind with lots of Coraline growth in his tank take a scrapeing from his tank and put it in your tank, it will help to seed the coraline.

Cheers:P

Seaquest
03-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Hi

Your tank is going to take as much as six to twelve months to mature if that, and in that time you are going to see many types of algae types come and go. With your green algae keep it off your viewing panels and in time it will vanish and coraline algae will begin to appear. If there is nothing in your tank to utelise the Kalkwasser why use it now, wait for at least three months befor you start adding chemicals and only if there needed. Use test kits to measure and add apropiate amounts. read up on coraline algaes and what they require for growth. If you have a freind with lots of Coraline growth in his tank take a sample from his tank and put it in your tank, it will help to seed the coraline.

Cheers:P

seahawkjohnny
04-09-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by SeaHunter:
Hi

Your tank is going to take as much as six to twelve months to mature if that, and in that time you are going to see many types of algae types come and go. With your green algae keep it off your viewing panels and in time it will vanish and coraline algae will begin to appear. If there is nothing in your tank to utelise the Kalkwasser why use it now, wait for at least three months befor you start adding chemicals and only if there needed. Use test kits to measure and add apropiate amounts. read up on coraline algaes and what they require for growth. If you have a freind with lots of Coraline growth in his tank take a sample from his tank and put it in your tank, it will help to seed the coraline.

Cheers:P<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are trying to promote Coraline algae growth it really helps to keep your calcium level above 400, check the level most likely you will need to add some...kalkwasser is the cheapest way of doing it...

Bob I
04-11-2002, 08:31 PM
So here is what I do. I live in Calgary, and would not use RO/DI if you gave it to me. I do not test for things, do not add anything. I have Coraline Algae growing everywhere. I find it pestiferous at times. I have used different lighting, and found it does well under any light I have tried. Look at the pictures of my tank here web page (http://www.therockies.com/rcipema)