PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions!

ryan_p
08-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been moving along at a comfortable pace to get my system up and going so I can avoid alot of common problems that tend to be made from rushing into this hobby. I think I might have hit a bit of a brick wall though. I'm hoping someone has a solution. For those unfamiliar with my equipment, I have a 46 G tank that I plan on making into a reef tank (still some things left to be purchased though). I am in a basement suite that I will only occupy for another 2 - 3 years because I am a student at BCIT. I want to do this right so I asked for an electrician to come give me a quote for installing 2 dedicated GFCI outlets. The tank is going to be set up in the same room as the circuit panel but on the opposite wall. The Electrician came a gave me a quote alright!!! $657!!! For 2 outlets. Being a student, I am not the richest guy, and I have budgeted for about $1500 not including livestock. This is an extra cost that was not budgeted for and not in my wildest dreams would I have thought 2 GFCI outlets would cost that much. I have put almost 2 months research into this hobby this summer and don't want to be stopped by this. Any suggestions? I guess I could place my tank right beside the panel and only ask for one to be installed and see if that cuts the cost down to around $100 - $150... I dunno. Will I be able to only use one dedicated GFCI outlet. I will have 2 PH's (maxijet 1200's), 1 200W heater, protein skimmer, and 2 light strips (192W) to plug in... I think thats it for what I have planned. I would like to have room on the circuit to plug a sump pump in when I have more money to incorporate a sump. I thought I could use a normal house circuit for the lighting strips as they won't be in direct contact with the water. Will that work? I wanted two because someone had said that they seperated their equipment in case of the GFI tripping so it wouldn't wipe out the tank. Sorry to make this so long, but I am frusterated and don't want to wait 3 years to have a reef tank when I've already invested time and money. Your comment, advice and suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Tigger
08-20-2003, 12:30 AM
You can go to Home Depot and buy a GFCI for $10. They come with instructions. They are really easy to install. It would probably take you 20 min.

ryan_p
08-20-2003, 12:33 AM
I know it's not the GFCI that is expensive, it's the dedicated circuits that cost the money. I don't know enough about electrical breaker installations to do that. I will need to add another breaker switch with all the wiring. Way over my head!!

Aquattro
08-20-2003, 02:02 AM
Ryan, dedicated circiuts are not required...nice if you have them, but a luxury nonetheless. I don't have them and I'm doing fine. Just add the GFCI outlets and don't worry about it.

kari
08-20-2003, 03:19 AM
I agree with reef_raf. Just replace the current recepticals with GFI ones. As long the current wiring isn't a million years old and is not grounded (eg. current recepticals should be three prung outlets.) I just added another dedicated circuit and it didn't cost much. Wire costs peanuts, new GFI was cheap, new breaker was about $15 I think (price varies a lot with panel type.) Its the certification that costs. The biggest pain in the ass is pulling the wires. If you don't feel comfortable installing a breaker or have never even seen it done then its probably not a good thing to experiment with. Theres a good bit of voltage at the bottom of the panel. Enough to kill you if conditions work that way.

If you change the old recepticles don't forget to turn off the power first and read the instructions. If you miss wire it, there is a test button.

There must be someone nearby that has installed them before that can give you hand. It takes a few minutes. How about the landlord?

ryan_p
08-20-2003, 03:26 AM
I just had another electrician come in and he's gonna do it under the table for $100. So thats good news. It's gonna be in a different location than I wanted but it cuts down the cost.

Brad, normally it wouldn't be an issue but the basement suite I live in never used to be a basement suite and the upstairs tenants have their FW tank, tv and computer (as well as some of our kitchen appliances and lights) on the same circuit as the one I wanted to use. It was already a loaded circuit nearing 15 amps. I have no alternative but another circuit.

Wilty
08-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Well thats good, under the table is always good. I dislike messing with the fuse box. I do everything else and then get a buddy electrician do the last leg. Good luck