PDA

View Full Version : New IO levels?

Ryan
10-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I finally got around to testing a fresh batch of water from the new buckets of IO. I used a Sailfert Ca test and an Elos Kh test.

Calcium 440ppm
Alk 14 dkh

Anyone else have similar readings?

Delphinus
10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I think so. Your calcium seems higher than I remember what I tested mine out at, but I think I remember it being not too bad. I'll have to doublecheck my notes downstairs and post back. I found Mg to be around 1000-1100.

The one lesson I've learned though is, it doesn't matter what salt it is, doesn't matter what price category it is (cheap like IO or designer like .. I dunno D-D or whatever) ... test every bucket. EVERY bucket. You will be amazed at how inconsistent the values are over time. We're better off knowing beforehand so we can adjust (does our makeup water) as required.

littlesilvermax
10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
That doesn't make sense to me, unless magnesium levels are 1500 or so.

You cannot have that high of a cal reading and still have that high of an alk reading.

What was the salinity at for the test?

FWIW many of us don't trust salifert like we use to.

Delphinus
10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah there's no way you'll get Mg of 1500 out of IO. I was pleasantly surprised I get 1100ish mind you, since I've spent double on the price of IO on the premium salts only to find Mg is inadequate anyhow.

The last IO I tested I got 340, 10, and 1050 for the big 3. I didn't mentally tweak on the alk number you posted but now that LSM mentions it, I agree those numbers are suspect after all.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that all test kits have some degree of suckage. I don't really know if there's an answer to that. I still buy Salifert when I can. I didn't mind Elos so much, but found the same degree of variances as with other test kits anyhow, but the real kicker was just that if you just so much as look wrong at those glass vials, they break, and unless you're lucky enough to have a spare, you're out a test kit.

LSM, what test kits are you using these days?

littlesilvermax
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah there's no way you'll get Mg of 1500 out of IO. I was pleasantly surprised I get 1100ish mind you, since I've spent double on the price of IO on the premium salts only to find Mg is inadequate anyhow.

The last IO I tested I got 340, 10, and 1050 for the big 3. I didn't mentally tweak on the alk number you posted but now that LSM mentions it, I agree those numbers are suspect after all.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that all test kits have some degree of suckage. I don't really know if there's an answer to that. I still buy Salifert when I can. I didn't mind Elos so much, but found the same degree of variances as with other test kits anyhow, but the real kicker was just that if you just so much as look wrong at those glass vials, they break, and unless you're lucky enough to have a spare, you're out a test kit.

LSM, what test kits are you using these days?

"some degree of suckage":lol:

I use Elos, I have also used Salifert. I have never broken anything, and always gotten good readings that made sense from all of my test kits, baring Hagen.

Ryan
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Salinity was at 1.026 at 77 degrees.

Myka
10-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I always get numbers similar to what Tony posted...for the last 10 buckets or so.

Atomikk
10-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I had an extensive chat with a person at Instant Ocean regarding salt perameters in general. The very important point a lot of people don't know is when you test your salt, it has to be a certain temperature and salinity to read properly with your test kits. I could be wrong, its been a few weeks since MACNA, but the testing salt has to be at 1.025 and at 78deg F. Only then you will get accurate readings from your test kits.

The Instant Ocean batches of salt had always been high in Ca (420), but a lot of people were testing their batches in 80' water, or 1.024 salinity, and were getting smaller readings. They saw that this was their main problem, so they bumped their calcium levels to 440ppm just in case people test at inoptimal levels.

In other words, the new IO salt is set at 440 Ca, 9dKH and 1350ppm Mg.

RuGlu6
10-09-2009, 12:21 AM

If that is true, then it would be a Great news !
i am using DD now , switched from KZ, and used reef pro before that. All are the most expensive salts and they all are not perfect to say the least.
if IO is what they say they are then it is what i will use, because high cost salts are coming and going but IO is seems to be available all the time.

marie
10-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I just tested mine with salifert test kits, mixed for 48hrs at 78 degrees and 1.026 sg. The bucket is sporting the new design on the front

Alk 9.6 dkh
cal 370
Mg 1170

While I have no idea how accurate the test kits are, I find the corals and coralline do best in my tank with Alk at 9, cal at 380 and Mg anything over 1250 using the same kits

mark
10-09-2009, 12:53 AM
I just tested mine with salifert test kits, mixed for 48hrs at 78 degrees and 1.026 sg. The bucket is sporting the new design on the front

Alk 9.6 dkh
cal 370
Mg 1170

While I have no idea how accurate the test kits are, I find the corals and coralline do best in my tank with Alk at 9, cal at 380 and Mg anything over 1250 using the same kits

that's around what the old pails tested.

Albertan22
10-09-2009, 01:22 AM
My IO salt has been reading:

Mg 1280
Ca 380
dKH 9

Salinity 1.026
Temperature 78 degrees

This latest batch was from the 200G boxes.

marie
10-09-2009, 01:32 AM
that's around what the old pails tested.

My old pails were testing at alk 10-11 dkh, cal around 340 and Mg at 900

banditpowdercoat
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Just got a new bucket., not ready to make a batch with it yet, but soon and will test. i had an old bucket of IO, and having a heck of a time with MG/Ca hope the new stuff is more consistent

Myka
10-09-2009, 02:53 AM

I call bull crap on this (no part on you though). Manufacturers will claim whatever they want, but the proof is in the bucket. I will believe it when I test the bucket!! I always test at 78 degrees and 1.026 specific gravity, which according to the claims of the manufacturer should put me higher than the numbers you listed. Like I said, I will believe it when I see it! If for some profound reason the manufacturer is actually representing the product honestly (how many snake oils are there out there??) that would be awesome!! :mrgreen: Albeit I would rather have to dose calcium to the mix than have my calcium as high as 440 ppm (or higher with the higher SG). :neutral:

My "old" buckets have always tested around 360-370 ppm calcium, almost always 11 dKH alkalinity, and 1170-1280 Magnesium. Magnesium has always fluctuated significantly, but I have never had it test less than 1170 ppm.

Atomikk
10-09-2009, 04:17 AM
I will get more info from them on how to properly test your salt. Again, its not just test and go. There are certain rules you must follow. On that I will write later on in my blog.

rayjay
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Here is a thread that had been going for a while on RC.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695516&highlight=Instant+Ocean