PDA

View Full Version : How long does your co2 last?

Son Of Skyline
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I just came home and found my 10lb co2 tank empty. Gauges read zero. I filled it as recently as 2 1/2 or 3 months ago. I've been using it at a rate of about 40bpm. Is this normal? It's been a long time since i've used a reactor and i don't remember having to fill a co2 tank so often.

Tank is a 34gal cube with a cheapo Acrocal reactor (which seems to actually work ok). Mixed with only a few small sps.

How long do you go between fills?

Mrfish55
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I get 4-6 months out of a 20lb so you are in the ballpark, one thing I learned early on is make sure the tank valve is either fully open or fully closed (certain valves will slowly leak if only partially opened)

christyf5
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
With my ocean aquatics reactor I could get 9-10 months out of a 10lb bottle. However with my schuran reactor, I was lucky to get a couple months. I never did find out wtf was going on with that thing, it definitely needed a lower pH to melt the larger media but it seemed excessive. I'm currently using a dosing pump.

mr.wilson
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
What brand is your regulator? The Milwaukee regulators have a crappy nylon washer that often gets lost. Pour some liquid dish soap on the connection to test for leaks. A 10Lb bottle should last close to a year.

whatcaneyedo
10-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I use a regulator from aquariumplants.com and my 20 lbs CO2 lasts over a year while maintaining the pH in my PM 622 Ca Reactor between 6.5-6.6 with a steady flow through.

Aquattro
10-07-2009, 07:44 PM
check for leaks around the regulator

Son Of Skyline
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I haven't checked for regulator leaks but i'll do that asap. It's an old regulator i bought off a fellow canreefer. I suspected a leak but thought i'd check with you guys first. Looks like i'm not too far out of range, but it still seems like this tank should have lasted alot longer than 3 months.

sphelps
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I use to get about a year out of my 10lb when I had it, then I switched to 5lb to save space which for some reason would only last about 2 months. No leaks, same tank, same reactor.

So I would definitely you're going through it too quickly and something isn't working properly but I assumed the same when I switched but couldn't find a problem. So..... :neutral: