PDA

View Full Version : To Catch a Coral Beauty

Gizmo
10-07-2009, 03:29 AM
If anything its a catchy book title :)
Of all the damn fish I can't catch I have a CB that I need to take out of the display tank, despite blocking favorite entrances into the rockwork, she is too quick to catch. Any ideas? I'd rather not tear down the rockwork to get her.
thanks!

belzebuth
10-07-2009, 03:56 AM
try the pop bottle trap method. Mine fell for it :lol:

The Codfather
10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Giz,
I have a DIY fish trap if you need to borrow it. LMK,
Bob
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/DSC00012_6.jpg

littlesilvermax
10-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Giz,
I have a DIY fish trap if you need to borrow it. LMK,
Bob
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/DSC00012_6.jpg

That is a nice unit!

Gizmo
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Yea If I could borrow that It might work! Only problem I can see is the other 10 fish in there too :D

fishytime
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
That trap design requires you to be there to manually release the trapdoor...so you only trap the fish you want....on a related note.....my dwarf angels are incredibly smart and wouldnt go anywhere near any trap I put in the tank....I fluked out and caught my bi-color angel when my flame angel chased him into the trap......good luck with your hunt

The Codfather
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I usually leave it in the tank without the trap door (and the bait tube on) for a day or two, until the fish are eating inside with no hesitation. The longest I have had to wait was 15 minutes once the trap door was in place.
Bob

Lance
10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Cut a piece of acrylic slightly longer than the height of your tank and wide enough to enclose a corner of the tank. Leave one end about 3 or 4 inches away from the wall of the tank. Place some food in the triangular area you've created and when the CB swims in to get the food, close the open side. Then you can net the fish easily.

christyf5
10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Cut a piece of acrylic slightly longer than the height of your tank and wide enough to enclose a corner of the tank. Leave one end about 3 or 4 inches away from the wall of the tank. Place some food in the triangular area you've created and when the CB swims in to get the food, close the open side. Then you can net the fish easily.

+1 Works like a charm :biggrin:

kien
10-07-2009, 07:06 PM

+2 !! I have always used this method and it has worked every time! :-D Just make sure the triangular area is also big enough for you to get a net into it :-)

K.

Gizmo
10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Well I just spent 2 hrs trying to catch that bastard. Funny part of the whole thing is there were a couple of times where EVERY fish except the coral beauty were in the trap. Had a couple of close calls, but then my yellow tang would have an autistic fit that scared everyone into their relative corners. I don't think I can use the corner method cause I have euro bracing. I'm going to try the trap again later and just fill the sucker with more food than everyone can eat. Problem is, when you like to dine on zoa's and SPS, why eat shrimp?? :S

Murminator
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I feed with mysis for a couple days before spread all over the tank then you kinda see there favorite places to feed then bait a small fly fishing hook (make sure you pinch the barb) with a mysis bang 10 seconds and you have him if another fish goes for it pull it outta the way. Works awesome and it does not hurt the fish. Done this couple times drop them into new tanks and within 10 minutes there were eating like nothing happened.

If you are really mad there is the shop vac method.....but I don't think you wanna go there yet :eek:

Gizmo
10-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Well about time, but I caught the witch. I haven't fed the fish for 2 days :eek: but, she was the first one into the trap. Not 20 seconds in. So, I have a CB available :)