PDA

View Full Version : mixing tangs

blueyota
10-06-2009, 04:19 AM
hello and thanks for reading ...im just wondering if its to late to put another tang in my tank its a 140 and i have a hippo tang and was wondering if i could put a yellow tang of around the same size in they are both around 4 in still kinda young and i have had my tang for around 4 months

Mrfish55
10-06-2009, 04:22 AM
I had a hippo and a yellow in my 180 and there was not enough room for the both of them, they fought constantly, could have been just the pair I had but it didn't work for me.

naesco
10-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Your tank is large enough to accommodate both and they are of different species.
When you add your tang do so when the tanks lights are off. You can add some food to the other end of the tank to keep the hippo occupied.

Add the yellow tang and then leave the room and keep the lights off for a day.

There may be some sparing but they will get used to each other.

Make sure you feed garlic extreme soaked food with added selcon to the nori you feed her to lessen the chance she gets ick.

The hippo needs meaty foods as it is the only non herbivore tang.

Now would be a good time to add another tang at the same time if you are considering it. Ad them together. I would recommend a powder brown A. nigercans (the one with the orange on it) Choose a plump healthy one that you see it eat. Clear eyes, no spots or tears. Inquisite. Just as interested in you as you are at the fish.

Good Luck

blueyota
10-06-2009, 04:36 AM
great thanks for the great info iwas trying to decide if i wanted a yellow or powder brown now i will get both thanks

globaldesigns
10-06-2009, 05:27 AM
I have 4 tangs in my setup (300G total) - Hippo, Yellow, Sohal and Blonde Naso... All are fine, the Sohal which is the most aggressive species out of the 4 is even fine with the others.

I think it all depends on the fish... If you do it I would suggest putting one in that is smaller than the Hippo

burrows14
10-06-2009, 05:38 AM
i have a hippo and a brown tang in my 120. they get along great except they are both scared and of my clrarkii(he's a jerk!). But i agree with global it does all depend on the fish they all have different personalities.

P.S GLOBAL I WANT THAT SOHAL!!!:lol:

Ray

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
In my 210g reef, I have a Powder Blue, Hippo, Vlamingi, and six Yellow tangs. In general, these fish get along fine. Can't add any more PB or YTs in there though. The Vlamingi is from another member & still only 4".

In my 120g softy reef/ex-fowlr, I have a Purple, Powder Brown, Yellow, and Hippo tangs. Again, everyone gets along.

Most of these tangs have been in my tanks for 2+ years and are fat & sassy. I make sure the fish are well fed and have aquascaped to create lots of caves, tunnels, and swimming areas.

Anthony

banditpowdercoat
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a Hippo, Yellow and Sailfin in a 150g they all get along fine.

bowkry
10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
i have a yellow and a leutenant tangs in my 160 they fight every once and awile but no one ever realy gets hurt