PDA

View Full Version : coralife power centre

burrows14
10-06-2009, 01:14 AM
anybody have one? im thinking about getting one and just wondering if its worth it or is there something similar on the market thats better?

cheers
Ray

patpare
10-06-2009, 01:23 AM
I have the electronic one and it work great,had it for 3 years.I noticed that Zellers cary a similare powerbar,and it has 4 timed outlet and 4 strait power,and they are only 25.00.

ILIKECOUGARS
10-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Coralife timer are not worth the price you pay for them. I bought one and it lasted 6 months then it crapped out. Your better off buying the timers from canadian tire and plug them into a power bar.

burrows14
10-06-2009, 01:34 AM
i have a bunch of the big standard plugs that ive used for a while but i was hoping to streamline them and have a less bulky look. the digital one looks good but the dual one on the j&l site looks like it might be the best for me. I do not wanna pay 50 dollars for something that is gonna crap out on me in a few months tho. i could use that money to buy other useless things for my tank :lol:

cheers
Ray

Snaz
10-06-2009, 02:34 AM
anybody have one? im thinking about getting one and just wondering if its worth it or is there something similar on the market thats better?

cheers
Ray
I have the manual one for over a year, no problems.

Planeguy
10-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Canadian Tire has a digital timer power bar by Woods. 4 timed outlets, 4 controlled by switch. I bought a couple of these when they were on sale for under $20. The loser manual says "not for aquarium use". If I am using these in dry environment (wiring box) I should be okay with these, or am I missing something?

simplycoral
10-06-2009, 02:57 AM
I have the electronic one and it work great,had it for 3 years.I noticed that Zellers cary a similare powerbar,and it has 4 timed outlet and 4 strait power,and they are only 25.00.

Walmart sell the same power bar for $14.98. I have eight of them and they make me nervous....:neutral:

They are working fine although i would not bother trying to use one for dosing as they cannot cope with one or two minute intervals. every one i have tried, seems to reset itself.

Simon.

burrows14
10-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Canadian Tire has a digital timer power bar by Woods. 4 timed outlets, 4 controlled by switch. I bought a couple of these when they were on sale for under $20. The loser manual says "not for aquarium use". If I am using these in dry environment (wiring box) I should be okay with these, or am I missing something?

I would be putting it under my where my sump is so there would be alot of moisture. how much is a wiring box? Im not the biggest DIY guy so i like to keep things as simple as possible/ im lazy :lol:

cheers
Ray

Binare
10-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Those ones that say are not for aquarium use are identical to the coralife ones, even the insides are identical. Only difference is two relays are wired differently. I'm guessing coralife paid em a little extra to stamp that on.

burrows14
10-06-2009, 04:16 AM
ill give them a try then. i just dont want anything shorting out and ruining my equipment

cheers
Ray

PuffLuv
10-06-2009, 04:47 AM
I've had my Coralife Power Center for ~3 years. It has both a day & night (2 day & 2 night + 4 constant) timer + wave-maker timer. I also have a couple Woods digital timers from Wal-Mart($15)/Canadian Tire(>$15). The Woods does not have a night timer. They both have a lithium battery backup and definitely look like they're from the same plant. The only thing I had to replace on my Coralife was the backup battery (~$4). If you are trying to save space and you like the day/night feature, I would recommend the Coralife. However if your using one for the wave-timer function, I can say my one of my Koralia's have a hard time restarting after the power goes out (now resolved with a backup battery, which I recommend for everyone!). This ended up being a much longer review than I intended, and could go on....fortunately for anyone reading, I'm getting sleepy. :biggrin:....:sleeping:

burrows14
10-06-2009, 05:49 AM
I have tunze wavemaker so i dont think it will be a problem. im pretty much gonna use it for all my lighting. i plan on hooking it up for the weekend cause im going away for the weekend and dont want my girlfriend to have to worry about learning what turns what on and when to do it lol

cheers
Ray

04scoobysti
10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I've had one for ~3 years too, has always worked flawlessly. Only reason im not using it anymore is my chiller controller craped out and had to get an AC jr.

whatcaneyedo
10-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I tried one of these for a year and then just gave it away. http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wm-esupc/Coralife+Power+Center+Timer+%28Single%29.html

My lights would turn on and off suddenly in the middle of the day or night. I think the little plastic timer tabs didnt hold in place very well. I've never actually owned anything by coralife that wasnt a POS.