PDA

View Full Version : what is this? newbie Zoanthid Question

jimbo222
10-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks all for the Great info on this site it's awsome.:smile:
New tank 5 weeks old
what is all that stuff around my zoanthids ? Can i remove it all ? its like plantlike of somesort growing like crazy almost covering the nice view.
can i clear it all off?

fragNplug
10-05-2009, 04:16 AM
On the front one that is hairalgae

simplycoral
10-05-2009, 04:27 AM
The one at the back is a Valonia Bubble which you should carefully remove without popping it!

and the other algae at the back is fairly common although i forget the name; if you have tangs or snails they will eventually eat it. My tangs love it. :smile:

Simon

jimbo222
10-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Thats great thanks for the info.

simplycoral
10-05-2009, 04:44 AM
I have been looking again at your picture :neutral: and the brown algae at the back might actually be a Dictyota species.... Hard to say without a close up.

If it is then it might be best to remove it rather than let it overgrow. :wink:

Regards, Simon

fishytime
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I have been looking again at your picture :neutral: and the brown algae at the back might actually be a Dictyota species.... Hard to say without a close up.

If it is then it might be best to remove it rather than let it overgrow. :wink:

Regards, Simon

The one in the back is indeed dictyota......only fish that eat it are naso tangs....grows very fast, so if a naso isnt a possibility for you, then I would be quite aggressive in your attempts to remove it.

BlueAbyss
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
+1 Dichtyota... mine is iridescent blue though :mrgreen: Anyhow, I just pluck the algae off, I have some wiry stuff that is fairly aggressive but I find if you remove it relatively aggressively it goes away over time (or at least doesn't grow back as thick). The Dichtyota you can just pluck the leaves off areas where you don't want it, it grows slowly enough if your plan isn't to eradicate it completely.