PDA

View Full Version : Bad freaking day

sharuq1
10-04-2009, 08:00 PM
So I woke up this morning to find water on my floor, my sump overfull, my reef at 23 degrees (normally at night it's at 25), my return pump not working and hotter than hell and my damn Tunze osmolator still nicely has the green light on-- did not have it's warning light on or anything!

I'm trying to figure out what I am going to do about the Tunze because I think the sensors must be furshnugared. I dumped the return pump into a bucket of vinegar water and am praying that it was only lime scale on there. If not I don't even know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to buy a new return pump for another 2 or 3 weeks. Arrghhh! Sometimes this hobby can be so frustrating! Sorry, I just had to vent. :sad:

PuffLuv
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear your bad news Kelly! How old was your Tunze, as I was just planning on picking a new one up soon, but incidents like yours makes me wonder if it is all that and a bag of chips...

sharuq1
10-04-2009, 08:40 PM
*sigh* Apparently this day just gets worse. It's so pathetic it's almost funny. <weak laugh> I just checked the tank again and there is still water on the floor. The phosban reactor was leaking too.

Ordinarily I would say that the tunze osmolator is the greatest thing since sliced bread Puffluv, just not if you asked me today.

Skimmerking
10-04-2009, 09:07 PM
wow sorry to hear about your troubles Hmmmm are you sure it was your tunze may be it was the phosban reactor that was leaking

sharuq1
10-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I've been having trouble with the Tunze not working properly for a while now. The float sensor has been getting stuck in either the pump on/pump off position and the optical sensor only works when it feels like it. The phosban reactor is what caused the water on the floor, but the Tunze should have let me know that the water level in the sump was higher than normal when the return pump died.

PuffLuv
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I hope your day gets better Kelly!:wink:

cuz
10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
that sucks!! no other way of putting it!!

Zoaelite
10-04-2009, 10:10 PM
This is usually how it works, one bad things leads to a whole open jar of nasty. No livestock was hurt from the overflow I hope?
Levi

lorenz0
10-04-2009, 11:15 PM
clean your leveling sensor every odd day. mine builds up with salt creep and says its level when its not. its very sensitive so keep up on that. as for your warning noise when it passes your float sensor, check to see if it works. you just need to raise the sensor and it will make the noise. personally i love mine and makes my life a tad bit easier, and it just needs a clean every now and than

fishoholic
10-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear, hope your day gets better. Tunze was really good with us, we had a part that wasn't working and we sent it to them and they shipped us out a brand new part right away with no problems.

Delphinus
10-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you get the sump return pump sorted out, is it fixable?

Snappy
10-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems, hang in there.

fishytime
10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Aw Crap Kelly! Sorry to hear.....We're dieing for updates.....did you get the return pump working? Is the livestock ok?

sharuq1
10-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks so much for the advice on how to deal with Tunze and the comments.

sharuq1
10-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks everyone for all your supportive posts. It really helps to have some people around who understand and root for ya.

I contacted the guy in the states for Tunze, Tunze UK and that xenia address. The states guy told me to contact the xenia address, the UK wants me to send in the whole blasted unit and I still have yet to hear back from the Canadian distributor.

I've been lucky and the reef hasn't experienced damage from all the drama because I managed to notice in time. I got the return pump working yesterday but then the power was out today and it stopped again. I don't think it can be relied upon anymore so I guess it's time to look for a new pump. I also found out while stuffing a stick into the impeller of my return pump :razz: that my sump is electrified, lol. Got a good shock, then started unplugging things one by one until I stopped getting shocked. :lol: (What do you mean that's not a safe way to look for an electrical leak? :razz:) Looks like electricity has been arcing into the water from the fuge lights. So now I need a new fuge light & a way to hang said light so it isn't in the path of the spray of my skimmer (cus apparently it is). My sump is behind my tank instead of under it.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could hang a light there? I had it hanging off my plumbing, but I guess that was not such a brilliant plan, hehe.

Always crap happens when I'm flat broke, lol! Geez when it rains it pours :microwav::frusty: