PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Want?

fooser
10-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Just finished double bagging a ~2.5 foot eunicid worm in some clear bags. Anyone want the little monster for whatever reason? haha

lastlight
10-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Any pics or video?

fooser
10-05-2009, 05:42 AM
I wish i thought of making a video of it cause while i was attempting to get it out my fiance wanted to watch, she could have made a video for me! It took about 40 seconds to catch him and get him in the bag without dropping a drop of water. Went alot smoother than I had planned.

We did get some pictures of it though while it was in the bag freaking out. I will post them when i upload the pictures. I just dont know what to do wiht the bugger, i dont have a tank for it.

torrid_07
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
how the heck do you get things like this in your tank ?!

Snaz
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I just dont know what to do wiht the bugger, i dont have a tank for it.
http://membres.lycos.fr/fredrichung/forum/kill%20it%20with%20fire.jpeg

fooser
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
how the heck do you get things like this in your tank ?!

I am not sure, i havent gotten any rock for a long time. Any rock i have gotten within the last year and half was small shelf rock that i boiled in hot water and let sit dry for 2 weeks before use. This thing must have been in my first peice of liverock i ever bought as it is the only piece i have that i did not treat and it is coincidentally the largest pece i have in my tank and is the foundation base rock. It is also the rock the work was living in.
Oh and I accidentally found a second smaller eunicid that is about 1 foot long while i had pulled another piece of liverock out and had it sitting out on my table, it was trying to crawl out of the rock probably because it was not happy out of the water.
I sure hope that was the last one though. I only took out about 20% of my rock to get the big one, so there is 80% more rock that could be housing other worms.

fooser
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
http://membres.lycos.fr/fredrichung/forum/kill%20it%20with%20fire.jpeg

haha i think if i wanted it dead, i could just let it dry up or leave it in the bag it was in and he would run out of air or kill himself in his own ammonia buildup.

but flame thrower method could be a little more exciting !

untamed
10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Was there a specific reason that you had to catch it? Obviously, it had been there for some time before you noticed. I would take him off your hands, but without knowing for sure what species I was getting it would probably be asking for trouble.

I had one for many years that was a vegetarian. He was a pretty useful resident, as long as you could get past his looks.

I think most of them are opportunistic detrivores.

fooser
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
The reason I took him out was because he was eating my reef.
At first it was kind of slow damage so i was going to wait until I moved at the end of the year to get him, but then lately he has been getting really brave at night (maybe because he is getting big and he is totally unopposed). He has been coming out while I am actually standing there (which he never use to do as he would flee the moment it thoguth i was near) and would munch on my SPS. After he took out 3 in about 2 weeks and then my wrasse disapeared, I was fed up and took him out.
So if you were planning to put this in a reef or anything besides a tank for just the worm, I would NOT recomend it.
Oh, but he did not bother my zoas, just SPS. Strange bugger.

argan
10-06-2009, 10:38 PM
i had a smallish one, about 5 inches, hopefully he has not grown too much because they are cool looking.

Was yours hard to get out of the rock? did you have to chisel in after him?

untamed
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
An SPS eater....that is unusual. They are just so hard and stony.... Usually, it is the softies that they go after.

Too bad. He's not for me. My tank is mostly SPS but it would have been large enough for him.

fooser
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
An SPS eater....that is unusual. They are just so hard and stony.... Usually, it is the softies that they go after.

Too bad. He's not for me. My tank is mostly SPS but it would have been large enough for him.

That is exactly why I did not expect it. My Zoas and LPS were all fine. I thought it was jsut me neglectin gthe tank that some sps started lokoing bad, I didn't suspect there was somethign in my tank until one day i noticed a few of my SPS in one section of the tank were all messed up. Some of them were flipped around and upside down, some were broken and somethat were not flipped had pieces missing off them, and almost all of them on the tips were all rubbed and broken. (if you see these symptoms, better start looking for a worm!!) But maybe mine was just a freak worm who decided to have different tastes. Then my fishwent missing and i knew there was somethign wierd for sure. Then one night i saw him on my SPS .. i think even if he was not eating them, he was on top of thema nd his spikes and huge body rubbingitself on the coral was enough to kill the tissue right off it. Either way, he is NOT reef safe. I am sure the sps had munchingmarks though. Have you ever seen the jawz on those worms.. i almost wanted to throw up when i looked at his face really closely.
...Now that I think about it.. one of my fish that use to sleep over by the worm area suddenly started sleeping on the opposite side of the tank in the corner and i didnt know why.. maybe there was somethign to do with that.

lastlight
10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm fascinated with these things. Talk about a great excuse to plumb in a small tank! Hey I think someone was asking for pics earlier. I think that's pretty rude but maybe you could for kicks pleeasse? :razz:

fooser
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm fascinated with these things. Talk about a great excuse to plumb in a small tank! Hey I think someone was asking for pics earlier. I think that's pretty rude but maybe you could for kicks pleeasse? :razz:

Haha alright. I did take pics, not very good ones as the bag reduced the clarity a bit, but i will try to post em tonight. Sorry I didn't post earlier but i been working doubles this week :P

lastlight
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey no worries take your time. I just hope 'those other guys' can wait =)

fooser
10-08-2009, 05:45 AM
OK, so here are some really crappy pics. Keep in mind for size reference, this guy is in one of those XXL sized bags about a foot wide. That and he is curled around multiple times in there.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp206/anthonychin88/DSC_1366-1.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp206/anthonychin88/DSC_1359.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp206/anthonychin88/DSC_1368.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp206/anthonychin88/DSC_1369.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp206/anthonychin88/DSC_1376-1.jpg

Oh, and no I did not have to break apart any rocks or anything to get him.. he was actually pretty cooperative.. minus the part where he grabbed onto my koralia4 and slid himself completely in there which i dont know how he could fit.. then i covered the powerhead with the bag, held it closed and pulled the powerhead out from the tank with him upside down til he slid out into the little bit of water in the bag. then i pulled the PH out and added water for him.

Mr.nintendo
10-08-2009, 06:02 AM
awesome and kinda scary looking at the same time :P

sitandwatch
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I am a little disturbed by the look that monster but also intrigued.
How long does it take for them to get that big??

I think that I have one in my tank that is about 3 inches long but its pretty skinny.