PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Shrimp

Ryan
10-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I am planning on getting a single Harlequin shrimp. i understand these guys feed soley on the tube feet of Starfish but I was wondering does it matter which starfish?

I was planning on feeding sand sifting stars but have heard they only eat linkia starfish. I heavy a good supply of sand sifting stars but the Linkias are iffy. If this is the case I will find something else to replace them with.

Chaloupa
10-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Mine ate sand sifting and chocolate chip as well as getting rid of my asterina starfish problem! But you need several stars if you are planning on cutting off limbs for it to eat...just so one heals while you cut off anothers arm....

Ryan
10-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks.

I was planning on keeping 2 in my other tank and these Harlequins on my desktop.

How long did a leg last your guy?

Chaloupa
10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I had one large female Harlequin and 5 stars to rotate through.....a leg lasts, hmmm a day or two ....

Ryan
10-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Did they eat the enitre leg or just the tube feet off of it?

How did you know the leg was done if they just ate the feet.

Drock169
10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
the rest of the leg falls apart. They'll accept linkia's, fromia's, chocolate chip stars, asterina, white sand stars, i think thats all of the types i can think of. A large pair with take about a week to consume 1 starfish, I usually let them go another week without eating and then feed again.