PDA

View Full Version : a new low?

cwickham
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
are you tired of your everyday mundane return pump, rattles keep you up at night... try our new quieter one 3000.....

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_4932.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_4933.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_4934.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_4935.jpg

i feel retarded, hahaha but my tanks in my room and it just keeps getting louder and louder

Lance
10-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Ha Ha! So, does it keep it quiet?

cwickham
10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
definatly keeps it quieter... a little bit more consistant of a noise.

Skimmerking
10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
how much for 2 of them shipped to me lol now that is DIY

Bryan
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Mine is even quieter, I threw it in the garbage, useless pump, would never buy again. Would never restart without a couple hits with a hammer.

Zoaelite
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Aahha!!! Currently waiting for the new impeller mod before I purchase mine, hope these things don't float :neutral:.
Levi

banditpowdercoat
10-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I must have a fluke of a quiet one 3000. It's in my 45g overflow, almost dead silent, and hasnt had a hiccup, or needed cleaning in over a year. My Mag drives however, are noisy, and allways failing...

cwickham
10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
mine doesnt seem to fail... but has gotten really noisy... i hate it.. makes me debate getting rid of my sump all together

sphelps
10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Probably won't last as long as it'll run hotter.

cwickham
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
its not gonna run much hotter i dont think... its still surrounded by cold water and should run well under the acceptable operating temperatures.

sphelps
10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
its not gonna run much hotter i dont think... its still surrounded by cold water and should run well under the acceptable operating temperatures.
Well not exactly, the pump is designed with fins to increase the surface area and therefore the heat exchange allowing the pump to run cooler. I can guarantee the company wouldn't spend the extra money on manufacturing if they didn't feel this feature was necessary. The covers you have installed prevent water flow around the pump, yes water will be there but it will be trapped reducing the conduction cooling effect the pump may require. It will run significantly hotter, which will likely lead to premature failure.

Often these pumps are noisy because the run too hot, the impeller gets warped from the heat and becomes unbalanced. This is why some people will say their quiet one is quiet and others will say the opposite.

You've created a temporary solution to reduce vibration noise but it may cause bigger problems than it has solved.

cwickham
10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
if you run it out of water, then it would still be hotter then it is now, even the "trapped" water will probably only heat up to approx room temperature.

fkshiu
10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
That's awesome man.

Kronk
10-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Looks like a bomb carefull the popo's dont come looking for you. Thats gotta be up for picture of the month though...

Marlin65
10-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Well not exactly, the pump is designed with fins to increase the surface area and therefore the heat exchange allowing the pump to run cooler. I can guarantee the company wouldn't spend the extra money on manufacturing if they didn't feel this feature was necessary. The covers you have installed prevent water flow around the pump, yes water will be there but it will be trapped reducing the conduction cooling effect the pump may require. It will run significantly hotter, which will likely lead to premature failure.

Often these pumps are noisy because the run too hot, the impeller gets warped from the heat and becomes unbalanced. This is why some people will say their quiet one is quiet and others will say the opposite.

You've created a temporary solution to reduce vibration noise but it may cause bigger problems than it has solved.

+1 Looks like that pump has a wetsuit on. LOL
Just make sure you have a back up ready when it fails. Love the DIY

sphelps
10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
if you run it out of water, then it would still be hotter then it is now, even the "trapped" water will probably only heat up to approx room temperature.
:lol: So you've invented a pump that cools? Tanks run around 80, which is about 10 degrees hotter than room temp. Running a pump external increases the temperature gradient and air is still free to flow around the pump to help cool it, so the unmodified pump will likely run around the same, in and out of water.

To explain this in simpler terms, what happens when you wear a jacket in an 80 degree environment? Do you get warmer or stay around room temperature? :confused:

cwickham
10-04-2009, 10:07 PM
i slept like a baby last night... seems to be allot quieter even if it does break soon.