PDA

View Full Version : Flat worm ?

zazzoo
10-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Looking at some of my colonies ... i noticed that they are starting to recede from the base... pulled one colonie to look and notice a clear thing moving ... was very hard to see... im guessing flat worms.... i heard of this stuff called flat worm exit ... where can i get it ? and is there something else that works just as well with out dipping the corals ?

BlueWorldAquatic
10-03-2009, 02:22 PM
A six line wrasse will do a job on flatworms, we use them when we see FWs in our tanks. We avoide chemicals if we can at all times in the store.

Ken

whatcaneyedo
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
A yellow coris wrasse worked well for me. I've used flatworm exit in the past and usually a couple survive and then the population grows again. Its much safer and more natural to use a natural predator like a wrasse.

Ya Dude
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Ive had AEFW before and the only way to get rid of them is repeated dips over a few weeks or get rid of that coral.They lay eggs that are not effected by flat worm exit which hatch days after.You must remove that coral and scrape of eggs and dip.Quarantine!

zazzoo
10-03-2009, 05:25 PM
six line wrasse works ?... what about the eggs and stuff ?

Ya Dude
10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
theres lots of fish that eat common flat worms (planaria) but AEFW no.I dipped mine in Pro Cure and broke off major affected areas

Can you see tiny round bite marks on the underside of coral?

zazzoo
10-03-2009, 05:56 PM
ok ... well time to dip .... and then start chopping and glueing ... booo

fkshiu
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
You've got AEFW. You're in for a long tough battle.

All the remedies against the flatworms themselves: predators, FWE, dipping, are not very effective all at against the eggs which are next to invisible. You must inspect each and every colony under a bright light with a magnifying glass.

zazzoo
10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
alright ... just spent the last 3 hours chopping the colonies and dipping and scaping .... fingers are all sticky from the glue and epoxy ... NOT FUN .... hopefully that will stop them all