PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

whiteangelbw
10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone,
Ok, in the last month I have lost 3 gobbies, can't find them anywhere. So I thought I must have a nasty hitch hiker. The other day I found this, what kind of crab is he and could he have gotten my gobbies? And does anybody want him.

Snaz
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Ok, in the last month I have lost 3 gobbies, can't find them anywhere. So I thought I must have a nasty hitch hiker. The other day I found this, what kind of crab is he and could he have gotten my gobbies? And does anybody want him.

Xanthid / Gorilla crab with a great pattern. I have one of these in my system and he seems harmless enough. There are MANY opinions on these and crabs in general. If you suspect him of foul play then your best to isolate him(sump), flush or offer to a friend with a trigger.

simplycoral
10-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi,

I would say that it's not a Gorrilla crab, as it has a large smooth carapace and smaller legs which appear more compacted to the body.. IMO i would say freindly, but its very hard to say. Most crabs in the long term become predatory as they fight for food. Best to keep him in the sump or give to a collector who keeps crabs :wink:

Try feeding it meat (Krill) and algae at the same time to see if it is a carnivore

Simon.

whiteangelbw
10-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys. 2 responses and both different. Can anyone else help?

Drock169
10-04-2009, 04:09 PM
If the claws tips come to a point, remove it. If the tips are flat, i.e. mithrax crab, then then are add with caution.