PDA

View Full Version : reef crystals VS. kent sea salt

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-11-2002, 03:48 PM
i have tried instant ocean and kent sea salt but never reef crystals smile.gif
as you all know i am starting over for my reef i think i might change the salt brand i could get reef crystals for a 100$/200gln pail.
anyone using it what is the difference any info. would be thankfull :confused:
(total death in my tank nothing survived as i tried to save some corals)

canadawest
04-11-2002, 05:58 PM
I have been using Kent salt for the past year with no problems. It mixes well and is one of the cheaper brands.

J&L carries the 200gal buckets of Kent for $59.95 and Instant Ocean for $64.95.

And once a year J&L puts the salt on sale, bought my current 200gal bucket of Kent for $49.95!

Reef Crystals seems very expensive to me, and doesn't appear to offer any benefits over Kent or IO.

Troy F
04-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Andrew nailed it. Use Kent or IO. Reef Crystals has been tested a few times against its cheaper cousins and hasn't shown any significant benefits. It is supposed to be higher in Ca and some of the other trace elements but I don't think it is IIRC. I use IO because it did a little better than Kent in that AF article that tested all the major brands. Coralife is the brand that was hammered for, among other things, having enough lithium in it to make a horse very calm.

Son Of Skyline
04-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Crap...I've been using Coralife for the past 6 months! Time to make a trip to the store.

Bob I
04-11-2002, 08:18 PM
I have been using Kent for years, and have found it to be fine. I bought it at Big Al's locally for $69.95 for 200 gals. That way you do not have to pay for shipping.