PDA

View Full Version : Rust colored pre filter-- Anyone else?--

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I seem to be having a minor issue with my city water, I live in Langley and for the longest time the filters in my RO/DI would last months. Now my nice white pre-filter gets clogged up with a rust colored brown sludgy stuff within a few weeks. The wife is also noticing that she has to clean the toilets and shower more often due to the same rust colored sediment. Our house is only 4 years old in a newer neighborhood. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have to change the pre-filters all the time or the pressure drops and my water production drops down to nothing.:sad:

randallino
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Oceanic,
I live in Vancouver and I am having the same issues. Brand new plumbing trough out the house. City of Vancouver replaced the water line in the street about 3 years ago. This usually happens more in the winter with the heavy rains, not during the late summer early fall. I have to replace my filters every ~3weeks and this has been going on since May.
RC

Leah
10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Didn't she just have a baby, shouldn't you be cleaning the toilets

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Didn't she just have a baby, shouldn't you be cleaning the toilets

Yeah good call!

She hasn't cleaned them since the baby arrived. Having said that we are looking for a new maid, let me know if you are interested! The pay is "OK" and we just bought a big puffy new dog bed from Costco so the accommodations are pretty good, the bed even has a nice therapeutic cedar smell to keep the fleas away!

:wink: Of course I am just giving you a hard time!

Leah
10-02-2009, 06:16 PM
When can I start, I will be sure to get all the neccesary shots before I enter!

belzebuth
10-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi Ian,
Same issue in Mission with my RO-DI. I also get the same rust color deposit in the toilet and bathroom sink.

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
So what the heck is the deal with this, it is costing me a fortune in pre-filters and carbon filters. Not to mention it is likely shortening the life of my RO membrane and DI filter!!! :sad:

belzebuth
10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I am not too crazy about the idea of ingesting this either.

Whatever it is...

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
i am not too crazy about the idea of ingesting this either.

Whatever it is...

+1

belzebuth
10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I am going to try to call the district of Mission. I don't know if this will get me very far but worth a shot. Will let you know

Bryan
10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
It's more than likely stirred up sediment in the watershed due to the heavy rains we have experienced this week.

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 08:31 PM
It's more than likely stirred up sediment in the watershed due to the heavy rains we have experienced this week.

I wished that were the case but this has been going on for months.....

belzebuth
10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
It is probably Ferrous iron.

According to information found:

"Concentrations of iron as low as 0.3 mg/l will leave reddish brown stains on fixtures, tableware and laundry that are very hard to remove. When these deposits break loose from water piping, rusty water will flow through the faucet.

Ferrous iron can be removed by an ion exchange process rather than filtration. Reverse osmosis with 5 micron filter CAN remove iron but is not recommended as the life of the membranes will shorten and cost would be prohibitive."

I think this is the case here and plugging up our RO/DI units.

Does anyone know where I can get Iron test strips ? I am currious to know the concentration in my tap water.

Oceanic
10-02-2009, 10:55 PM
It is probably Ferrous iron.

According to information found:

"Concentrations of iron as low as 0.3 mg/l will leave reddish brown stains on fixtures, tableware and laundry that are very hard to remove. When these deposits break loose from water piping, rusty water will flow through the faucet.

Ferrous iron can be removed by an ion exchange process rather than filtration. Reverse osmosis with 5 micron filter CAN remove iron but is not recommended as the life of the membranes will shorten and cost would be prohibitive."

I think this is the case here and plugging up our RO/DI units.

Does anyone know where I can get Iron test strips ? I am currious to know the concentration in my tap water.

This sounds about right; however, I was not getting this about 8-9 months ago. I wonder what changed!!

Please do test the water, I would like to know the iron content.

Ian