PDA

View Full Version : salty

fiorano
10-02-2009, 02:29 AM
as a birthday gift i received a bucket of red sea coral pro salt. which is amazing and thoughtful... but the salt i use in my system is h2ocean. the person at the lfs told my mom this is exactly the same as the h2ocean. but if it was why would they have a different name? anyway would it be smarter to try and return this bucket or to just use it in my system for water changes... or i could sell it to someone in the area who uses this brand :)

fkshiu
10-02-2009, 04:50 AM
I believe a D&D rep stated categorically on Canreef a while back that H2O and RedSea are NOT the same salt. Whenever someone tests levels of various salts, these two salts consistently have different results which would lend some credibility to that claim.

fiorano
10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
ok then i guess i will try to return it. if i cannot is there anyone who would want to buy this salt off of me. for less than at the lfs of course

niloc16
10-03-2009, 02:33 PM
you should be fine using the salt. whether you stay with the same brand name or change, any new bucket or bag of salt you start to use you should check all the levels of your freshly mixed salt water before adding to your tank. even from the same name brand your levels can be different from batch to batch. what i would do when i was going to start a new bucket of salt was mix half the old salt with half the new salt during my mixing. ie one cup old bucket, once cup new bucket. then if there is any change it will be gradual for the tank.

fiorano
10-05-2009, 06:14 AM
that what i did when i went from io to h2ocean but i only have one of these buckets then ill be using h2ocean again anyway... i think ill just try and sell it