PDA

View Full Version : Another lighting problem

Black Phantom
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Well it seems this new Coralife light of mine is really going to test my patience. First it was fan noise which I've dealt with, now my 250 MH bulb wont fire. I've tried a brand new bulb so thats not it.
There is 120 coming from the ballast so thats ok (I think).
This unit comes with a separate ignitor which I really don't know how they work.
So, can someone help me trouble shoot this unit or does anyone know of somewhere I can take it in to get fixed.
Thanx

fishytime
10-01-2009, 10:53 PM
How old is the unit? If its still under warranty, contact coralife...they are usually really good about replacement parts.

Black Phantom
10-02-2009, 03:47 AM
It's not that old but I bought it from another reefer so I'm not sure if it would still be under warranty. Is there someway to check?

mseepman
10-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Tough to say whether you'd get warranty.

I know that when I opened my fixture up, it was a fire ready to happen. Several of the connectors had already burned through and were holding by a thread. I'm surprised that mine was still firing.

Glennrf38
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I found loose wires on my 150W. So I went through all the wires and tightened them all up and haven't had a problem for 1 and a half years

Black Phantom
10-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I went through mine as well. Actually I'm very impressed with the wiring and the connections. Everything is tight and all the wiring connections were crimped and then had electrical shrink wrap put on them.
How does the ignitor work in conjunction with the ballast. I thought it was the ballasts job to fire the bulb. What does the ignitor do:question: