View Full Version : Eshopps skimmer review

leducreef
09-30-2009, 05:24 AM
well i didnt win one lol so i thought would buy one for the heck of it lol
here is a lil review

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1921

ESHOPPS PSK-100 Skimmer review
Text and Photo my John Horner or Leducreef

Eshopps has brought out a new line of skimmers this year, from hang on models to in sump and also the New higher end cone models .I would consider them to be a mid level skimmer for the budget minded person without sacrificing quality .

Some stats on this skimmer
Model PSK-100
Diameter-4’’
Height-22’’
Footprints (L x W) 10" x 5"
Recommended tank size 100 gal to 150
Price range $140-150

The PSK-100 is on the smaller end of Eshopps line but i chose this model for my frag tank setup, witch is a 40 gal tank with a 20 gal sump this skimmer has one neat feature that I have not seen on to many other skimmers and that is there mesh wheel impeller design . It is kinda like the needle impellers but they have glued a mesh type of material
On it to really cut the water up creating lots of bubbles . This model has no bubble plate like the hang on and cone models I am not sure why that is, but it don’t seem to need it.
After assembling this skimmer and placing In my sump and plugged it in and away it went. The new mesh wheel impeller produces a lot of bubbles .Eshopps recommends that it sit 8 inches of water .After making some adjustments to the flow witch is very easy to adjust, I found that it ran much better in about 9 to 10 inches of water , and after running it for a few days I was finding that I would get about a half a cup of dark skim every day. The cup removes in a flash to dispose of the skim .I also noticed that this skimmer was a lot quieter than some of my other skimmers .
Eshopps recommends the PSK-100 skimmer for up to a 150 gal tank but I think up to a 65 gal Reef and 100 gal fowler is about right . My only beef is with the pump on this skimmer is the intake housing .It is made of a soft plastic and if you remove it to clean the impeller you have to be careful when putting it back on not to break the clips that hold it together they are very weak. In my opinion the Eshopps skimmers put some of the other brands entry level skimmers to shame .you can visit www.eshopps.com for more info .

Pros
Great value for a low price
Well built
Skims well
Small foot print

Cons
Pump intake housing is weak
No drain hole in skim cup
No bubble plate ?
collection cup could be bigger

BlueWorldAquatic
09-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I am actually talking to eshopps about donating another skimmer for a "Canada" only draw in association with Blue World. Hopefully they go for it.

Ken - BWA

noirsphynx
09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I was thinking of buying one to submerse in the back chambers of an all-in-one 50g. The skimmer would be submersed to the skimmer cup or more, do you think it would work or would it be in too much water?

leducreef
09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
dont see any reason why it wont work you could always get the hang on model

noirsphynx
10-01-2009, 12:26 AM
dont see any reason why it wont work you could always get the hang on model

I thought about the hang on but I don't want the skimmer at all visible.

eshopps
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
well i didnt win one lol so i thought would buy one for the heck of it lol
here is a lil review

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1921

ESHOPPS PSK-100 Skimmer review
Text and Photo my John Horner or Leducreef

Eshopps has brought out a new line of skimmers this year, from hang on models to in sump and also the New higher end cone models .I would consider them to be a mid level skimmer for the budget minded person without sacrificing quality .

Some stats on this skimmer
Model PSK-100
Diameter-4’’
Height-22’’
Footprints (L x W) 10" x 5"
Recommended tank size 100 gal to 150
Price range $140-150

The PSK-100 is on the smaller end of Eshopps line but i chose this model for my frag tank setup, witch is a 40 gal tank with a 20 gal sump this skimmer has one neat feature that I have not seen on to many other skimmers and that is there mesh wheel impeller design . It is kinda like the needle impellers but they have glued a mesh type of material
On it to really cut the water up creating lots of bubbles . This model has no bubble plate like the hang on and cone models I am not sure why that is, but it don’t seem to need it.
After assembling this skimmer and placing In my sump and plugged it in and away it went. The new mesh wheel impeller produces a lot of bubbles .Eshopps recommends that it sit 8 inches of water .After making some adjustments to the flow witch is very easy to adjust, I found that it ran much better in about 9 to 10 inches of water , and after running it for a few days I was finding that I would get about a half a cup of dark skim every day. The cup removes in a flash to dispose of the skim .I also noticed that this skimmer was a lot quieter than some of my other skimmers .
Eshopps recommends the PSK-100 skimmer for up to a 150 gal tank but I think up to a 65 gal Reef and 100 gal fowler is about right . My only beef is with the pump on this skimmer is the intake housing .It is made of a soft plastic and if you remove it to clean the impeller you have to be careful when putting it back on not to break the clips that hold it together they are very weak. In my opinion the Eshopps skimmers put some of the other brands entry level skimmers to shame .you can visit www.eshopps.com for more info .

Pros
Great value for a low price
Well built
Skims well
Small foot print

Cons
Pump intake housing is weak
No drain hole in skim cup
No bubble plate ?
collection cup could be bigger

Nice thread

blacknife
03-31-2012, 06:12 AM
I ended up with this skimmer back when leducreef parted out with everything, its treated me ok, not great till lately, not working all the time, this was after a short bout< 2 months or so> of having it dialed in better than ever. I thought it just needed a cleaning so i cleaned it tonight and its still not pulling good. put the pump in water without the air intake on and it goes good, put the air intake on and it starts making noise and cavitating. i got it going as good as i could an hour or 2 ago but its only putting in enough air to make one or 2 inches of air above the water break instead of a nice big foam head like it used to have. Not sure whats wrong with it.

any advice?
I do need a skimmer upgrade soon but I am on a budget so i keep putting it off.

Ken do you still carry this line? ie replacement impellers/meshwheels?