PDA

View Full Version : OK without rim (24 x 18 x 16)?

shrimpchips
09-30-2009, 04:42 AM
I picked up a used 30g tank (24 L x 18 W x 16 H), all the glass panels are 1/4" thick. It used to be part of a store system apparently, and will be used as my sump.

I'm going to strip it and re-silicone it. My question is can I leave the trims off it? The top trim is two pieces of black trim that were easily removed, and I don't think they really provide structural support. So when I put it bact together, can I leave it off? (Again, glass is 1/4" thick, tank size is 24 L x 18 W x 16H).

Aquattro
09-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Yes, you can leave the top trim off, as long as the glass isn't sharp enough to cut you.

Lampshade
09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
If the glass is sharp use some fine sand paper to take the edge off quickly, doesn't even need to be very fine paper. I had some old wood fine sandpaper that worked out great. I imagine a granite paper would work best though.

shrimpchips
09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Brad. Threw away the crusty old trim.

The glass looks to be scored/beveled so it's not sharp.

Next question: How do I get the panes apart? I stripped all the silicone I could from the seams, but there isn't enough space between the panes to get a razor in there to cut the panes apart.

What should I do?

lastlight
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
It's incredible how tough those little tanks are to take apart. My old (months old) 400 gallon was a nightmare but somehow the small tanks are too. I've always been able to find at least one spot I could wedge the blade in and I go from there. Once one pane is off the others get easier. I think some have used guitar string which can be really thin...

bvlester
09-30-2009, 03:03 PM
piano wire the very small stuff or heavy fishing line. You can heat it a bit with hair dryer and that will make it cut a bit easer. be carfull to not break the panes of glass they crack easy do not use anything metal to get your saw started ( fishing line) just start at the top and go down. the bottom should be the easy part I have found that they leave a bit more room down there and just silicone it more you should be able to use a raser blade there.

Bill

shrimpchips
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
I've got some fishing line, but I think it's only 25lb test, but I'll give it a shot before going out to get some piano wire.

Hmm, I guess maybe I'll try from the bottom if there's a bigger gap - sewing needle and fishing line?

shrimpchips
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, I definitely can't get between any of the seams with a razor or fishing line - the panes are literally right up against each other.

Could I use acetone to dissolve or soften the bond in each corner?

shrimpchips
09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Bought acetone, and started at the bottom corner of one of the seams to get the razor in - it worked!!

Took 40 minutes, but I got the tank apart with minimal damage to the edges of the panes.

Thanks for the tip that the gap is bigger in the bottom!