PDA

View Full Version : Help Lighting shallow 90g (ATI or New Fishneedit?)

Bzar
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I've recently found this reef forum, and can't say how pleased I am in finding a Canadian source for this hobby. That being said I'm looking for Canadian $ friendly light for my new 90 gallon build. I want to grow primarily LPS, few softies, zoa's and some SPS. A real mix reef if I can. My tank is 48 long, 24 wide, 18 tall. I am also looking for the real color pop, and not too concerned with fast growth. So I was thinking of going T5.

I should be able to afford a 48" 6 bulb ATI SunPower once my tank is cycled. Would be enough for what I want to do with my tank size?

I am also very curious about the 2x150w mh with 2x2bulb T5's (4 total) fixture from www.fishneedit.com. I figure with only 18" deep tank 150w halides would be good, and I could get 4 t5's for the color....what's your thoughts on that as compared to the ATI? Does anyone have a fishneedit light for a reef tank? http://fishneedit.com/2-x-150w-mhl-with-2-x-2bulbs-4ft-2150224.html

Are there other options you guys might recommend?

TheMikey
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Ah, the great T5 and MH debate :)

I'd say that if the ATI SunPower is in your price range, full steam ahead. You might lose the shimmer effect, but the pure customization, lack of heat, and colour that can be reproduced in a T5 setup is what puts it ahead of MH. ATI's are probably the best products on the T5 market and you're going to see little, if any, difference between them and MH.

My two cents.

iansfishy
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
pm'ed

mseepman
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Welcome to Canreef!!

What you're attempting to compare is a little bit on the opposite ends of the spectrum. The ATI has a great name but can be tough to get and even tougher to get support from what I've read.

The Fish-Need-It fixture is at the bargain basement of products but is great value for the money. Support sounds like it's okay but you'll probably be using it at some point while you may never need to on the ATI.

I like the shimmer so I'm a MH guy but everyone has a different opinion and I think you'll find all the ATI owners here as die-hards so that says a lot about the product.

noirsphynx
09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I have the 250w with the 2x24w t5 fishneedit light and it's good for the price(the bulbs are crap though) but if I could afford the ATI I would personally love to go with that.

Doug
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I've recently found this reef forum, and can't say how pleased I am in finding a Canadian source for this hobby. That being said I'm looking for Canadian $ friendly light for my new 90 gallon build. I want to grow primarily LPS, few softies, zoa's and some SPS. A real mix reef if I can. My tank is 48 long, 24 wide, 18 tall. I am also looking for the real color pop, and not too concerned with fast growth. So I was thinking of going T5.

I should be able to afford a 48" 6 bulb ATI SunPower once my tank is cycled. Would be enough for what I want to do with my tank size?

I am also very curious about the 2x150w mh with 2x2bulb T5's (4 total) fixture from www.fishneedit.com (http://www.fishneedit.com). I figure with only 18" deep tank 150w halides would be good, and I could get 4 t5's for the color....what's your thoughts on that as compared to the ATI? Does anyone have a fishneedit light for a reef tank? http://fishneedit.com/2-x-150w-mhl-with-2-x-2bulbs-4ft-2150224.html

Are there other options you guys might recommend?

Welcome
to
Canreef

:mrgreen:

lorenz0
09-29-2009, 11:57 PM
ATI's are probably the best products on the T5 market and you're going to see little, if any, difference between them and MH.

My two cents.

ATI is the best for T5's. FYI 250 MH set ups are comparable with sunlight supply Tek's. ATI sunpowers out perform the tek by 20% if i remember correctly, let alone the power module beats the sunpower due to more active cooling.

That fish needs it fixture your looking at is not even comparable (its like comparing an amature sport to a pro series). You won't be disappointed with ati and personally thats what is replacing my tek and a good choice for your lighting. do some research on t5 only tanks on RC, i am sure you will be happy with what you find

Bzar
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll post pics of the tank when I get it started....just finished making my coast to coast overflow with Bean Animal drains. Looks like I'll be going T5 from what I've read here, with an ATI fixture perhaps.

mseepman
09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Would love to see pictures of your overflow...I'm planning on doing the Bean Animal on my next tank too.

Bzar
10-01-2009, 12:32 AM
I made a vid where you can see the overflow. You can check it out at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8bKRQkY-yk
hope that works.