PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pony keepers?

fishytime
09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
What does your seahorse tank run at for temperature? Ive been assembling parts to plumb in a pony tank to the main display. Problem is, my system routinely runs into the to 80s and Ive been told this is too warm for ponies.....then been told by another person that their pony tank hits 82 with no apparent problems. What are some of your experiences with this?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-29-2009, 05:53 PM
78 f.

Leah
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Mine was at 80 as well, so all my tanks were the same. I found it made water changes easier and top up water as well as I heat and premix it.

sharuq1
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
It isn't impossible Doug, just it is not recommended per se (at least not by seahorse.org), but it really depends who you ask. I still think you could do it as long as you are careful about what species you get. The main issue as far as I can gather is that higher temperatures make a ripe breeding ground for bacteria and thus the SH's are more susceptible to infection at a higher temp. Just be aware, have some medications on hand and a QT to use just in case.

Buy captive bred ponies if possible (Australia has several sources or you could try rayjay here on the board) that are found in a tropical climate as opposed to a temperate one. I'm going to ask for opinions over on the org and see what they say as their waiting period for new posters is rather annoying. ;) Ask Sphelps what his tank runs at. He has barbouri (I think?), which is one of the species less likely to suffer from issues with coral stings and of course his tank is gorgeous.

sphelps
09-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Had my pony for 1.5 years now and the tank is always maintained at 80 but sometimes reaches 84 on really hot days, usually doesn't get much hotter than 82 though.

sharuq1
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
There you go :) Ok, now you need to start a build thread Doug so I can spam it with envious comments :wink:

fishytime
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Im too far into it to turn back on doing the tank now(new sump and skimmer ordered for the big tank).....I was just trying to get a feel for what most pony tanks run at and if I need to think about some way of cooling just the add on tank. Thought of maybe doing an ice probe in the pony tank or possibly a kick butt fan blowing direct over the surface

Thanks for your help Kelly(here and at the other site)Was gonna start a build thread for it...just trying to think of a suitable title....Something like "the not so budget pony tank add-on":lol:

JDigital
09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
About time you pulled the trigger! :mrgreen: