PDA

View Full Version : Filter Sock Cleaning

intarsiabox
09-29-2009, 03:38 AM
When you wash these things in the washing machine do they need to be in side out? Do I only use vinegar or do I have to add detergent as well? Has anyone tried throwing them in the dishwasher to get cleaned? I bought a 200 micron cloth filter sock a couple of weeks ago and it needs to be cleaned but I have never cleaned one before. I tried rinsing it out in the sink but that didn't seem to remove any debris from the sock at all. The fine particles are all embedded in the fabric. Are nylon socks a better choice than the cloth socks?

Thank-you!:smile:

mark
09-29-2009, 04:08 AM
I'll turn mine inside out them give a good rinse with a hose. Once I have 3, I'll put them all in the washing machine with 1/4cup of bleach (non-fabric guard etc). Some don't use bleach but definitly don't use detergent.

Considering what they trap, I am okay in the washing machine, though can't see putting them in the dishwasher.

Doug
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Samr for mr but have not tried bleach yet. Inside out, rinse the heck out of them in the laundry sink and then into the washer when I have several saved up or with my fish room towels.

banditpowdercoat
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I just flip mine inside ouot, and scrub them under hot water in the kitchen sink. They are discolored a little, but it gets all the crud

whatcaneyedo
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I turn them inside out and wash 6 at a time with a full cup of bleach. Then I turn them inside in again and run a second rinse cycle. After washing I allow them to hang dry for a couple days before using them in my sump.

christyf5
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I wash mine in the washing machine (cold water as hot water will totally stink out your house) and a cup of vinegar. I have tried the bleach route but only when they're really dirty and then I run a second rinse and let them dry for a week (mostly because I'm paranoid about bleach). I've never had a problem with them.

intarsiabox
09-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Thank-you everybody for the replies. Everyone seems pretty consistent with how they clean their socks so I will do the same!:biggrin: