PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp

workn2hard2day
09-29-2009, 02:57 AM
What is the down side to having one (about 1 1/2") in a tank that only houses 2 clowns & an anenome, a couple of crabs and a couple of snails?
I finally found him, and have taken him & his rock and placed it in the salt water mix tank.
Trying to decide his fate, I will stick him back in the tank if the only bad thing he will do is eat a snail/crab or two.
Any advice appreciated.

karazy
09-29-2009, 03:01 AM
well, if he is a spearer mantis he will kill your fish, and if he is a smasher mantis he will kill all your snails and crabs, plus move around smaller rocks, including frags, and possibly go after the fish(but only possibly)

aquatic_rice
09-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I had a guy about that size, he was all good until he smashed some sps and made it his door for his cave.

But you didnt mention any corals so i think you should be good.... maybe. I got another mantis from a fellow canreefer and he had to get rid of his guy cuz he was attacking his clowns. I never had that problem though.

both were smashers by the way.

AHHope
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
i have 2 mantises and they are a complete clean up crew in themselves! They would rather pick up a scrap then hunt a crab. They can cause a bit of an algea problem due to the fact that they burrow alot and kill most hermit crabs and snails. Both of mine are housed with a variety of fish and other inverts you just have to take the time and see what kind of a personality yours has. And always remember a fed mantis is a happy mantis.

untamed
09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I wish that mine had survived in the main display. I don't know why they didn't. The only downside to keeping them was the loss of the odd hermit crab...easily replaced. I think the threat to fish is overstated. I used to feed them frozen food bits on the end of a skewer. They were entertaining and more interesting than many other critters.

workn2hard2day
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick him back in the tank and try to spot feed him.