PDA

View Full Version : I am Aquascaped Chalenged :(

fraggalrock
09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I have moved my rocks around so many times I feel like I am losing my mind and I still dont like it,I dont know if its the shapes or me,when I set my Biocube up which was really an after though it looks amazing but the red sea looks like crap no matter what I do :(http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/29gbiocuberocks.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/29gbiocuberocks.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/biocube.jpg
Now look at the Red Sea :(
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/crappyrocks.jpg

I have about 35 pounds of rock in each one.

impreza
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
If you want some really unique structures, you can try using epoxy to hold the rocks together.

Phanman
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
epoxy, acrylic rods or zip ties can do wonders for you but those pieces are pretty rounded and more boulder shaped which makes it harder to scape. Dont know if you want to break them up into smaller or more flat pieces. But just a thought.
Remember less can be more

marie
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I've found that I've done my best aquascaping when the water is all cloudy from stirred up sand and I can't see what I'm doing...seriously :lol:

christyf5
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
LOL, I find cubes the hardest to aquascape and thought mine looked like crap until I just gave up and just covered them in corals. It'll look better once the rock isn't so bare :biggrin:

christyf5
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I've found that I've done my best aquascaping when the water is all cloudy from stirred up sand and I can't see what I'm doing...seriously :lol:

I totally agree, you're way better off doing it blind. Then its like a surprise when the dust clears :wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Try creating a base with 3 or 4 larger rocks, and then span the spaces with 1 or 2 flatter pieces. I would also take the center bottom rock out and set that in front as a small "island".

Anthony

fishytime
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I dont think the RSM looks all that bad....I would move the paly rock down if you can, to make room up top for more light thirsty corals.....Another suggestion would be to keep your eyes open at your lfs for 1 or 2 really unique pieces.....thats what I do anyway, try to find the oddest shaped pieces you can as they usually make for more interesting looking aquascaping...I always tell people at the store to spend the time and effort to get it the way you like it(and then dont touch it:mrgreen:) before you have it stuffed full of corals and are limited as to what you can do. It took me the better part of a w/e to get the tank where I was happy with it and I am sure glad now that I did all that farting around. Mess with it til your frustration level reaches critical mass and then count to ten or take a break for an hour and try again:lol:

fraggalrock
09-29-2009, 01:41 AM

Marie,that is funny..when I did the Biocube it was cloudy and cam together in one try!

BlueAbyss
09-29-2009, 02:17 AM
I dont think the RSM looks all that bad....Another suggestion would be to keep your eyes open at your lfs for 1 or 2 really unique pieces.....Mess with it til your frustration level reaches critical mass and then count to ten or take a break for an hour and try again:lol:

+1 on all of these. It looks to me, though, that you could probably avoid this. Pick 2 or 3 of the more boulder shaped rocks and take them out to the curb, and smash them on a rounded corner... they should break into a few larger pieces and a number of smaller ones. The smallest ones are good for attaching zoas and palys to. The larger ones should have some interesting shapes, just aim a crevasse in the rock for a 'cave' and it should cleave somewhere around that area, IME... I ended up with a few chunky shapes and some shelfy shapes also. Use these near the top, using the boulders as the base.