PDA

View Full Version : Filter socks

Dez
09-28-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm just seeking opinions and experiences on filter socks. I ran one for the first 2 weeks of setting up my tank and just got frustrated.

They clog up every other day....

I really like the clear tank that it gives, but don't like the almost daily maintenance.

Any tricks to reducing the maintenance or on washing out the filter socks to make it "last longer"

Now I see fine detritus in my water column when the halides are on.

I like the crystal clear tank that the filter socks give.

Any pros/cons from your experience?

Thanks so much.

Midknight
09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Have a couple of socks, swap them out every couple of days during feeding when your main isn't draining. That way they don't get overly dirty. Then just wash a bunch at the same time.

mark
09-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm using 10x16", 100 micron socks and they go for about a week or more before they'll start overflowing.

I'll remove, give a good rinse with a hose then set aside in a pail until I have 3. Wash in the machine with 1/4 cup bleach. Been doing this close to 4 years with the same socks and they look about the same as when I got them.

naesco
09-28-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm using 10x16", 100 micron socks and they go for about a week or more before they'll start overflowing.

I'll remove, give a good rinse with a hose then set aside in a pail until I have 3. Wash in the machine with 1/4 bleach. Been doing this close to 4 years with the same socks and they look about the same as when I got them.

+1 except I don't use the bleach

mseepman
09-28-2009, 02:30 AM
I rotate about 5 socks on my main tank and 3 on my nano. I use the 4" x 9" ones. When they start to overflow/clog, I switch them out, rinse them under hot water and then store in a bucket of water with 1/2 cup of bleach in it. I keep adding socks until about 5 are dirty between the two tanks and then rinse them again to remove the bleach, and wash in cold water(in the washing machine with vinegar).

They usually come out looking close to new.

christyf5
09-28-2009, 02:49 AM
At first I tried 50 micron ones and, yeah they do clog up pretty quickly. I now use the 100 micron ones and they last about a week to 10 days. Then I just chuck them in the washing machine with some vinegar and they're good to go. I just incorporate changing them with my weekly maintenance schedule (which most of the time is about 10 days due to procrastination :razz:).

Dez
09-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to go buy 4 more. I really do enjoy the crystal clear water that the socks give - and it is definitely a good way to remove detritus as my wavebox seems to keep all of it suspended. Thanks for the response.

str255
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
You are using 100 micron, felt socks?

If so, I was facing the same issues ... and am now using a 200 micron nylon-mesh filter sock inside my 100 micron felt sock.

The nylon sock will catch some of the bigger stuff, is much easier to clean (and consequently, I will clean it much more frequently), and helps prevent my felt sock from getting clogged up quickly.

But yes ... I also have many felt socks to be used in rotation.

michika
09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Aside from changing the micron size, I find that nylon vs. felt also seems to make a difference. Felt clogs faster, and nylon cleans easier.

Werbo
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
What are the specifics of the 100 micron nylon filter socks.
Name Brand?
Where to buy?
Demensions?
Price?
Available at non-pet stores?

mseepman
09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
A variety of people in the US buy from www.filterbag.com

Not sure if they ship to Canada or not.

banditpowdercoat
09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
WOW, even on my 150g, takes a month or more to fill a filter sock. If at all. Usually a little scum/buildup. but never had a filter sock come close to completely filling/overflowing...

JPotter
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I have tried filter bags..one hung on each return. In about 2 weks the sock is brown not white and the water flows over the top. There was very little if any detritis but the material just seemed to clog up very quickly. I stopped using them and have seen no difference the rate of visible debris collecting or how clear the water is. I do notice a fine settlement on the bottom of the sump but at the same time as stopping the routine use of the socks I put a black vibration dampening material in the bottom of the sump and a sump light so now anything seems very evident...before it was just too dark to see much.

intarsiabox
09-29-2009, 03:30 AM
A variety of people in the US buy from www.filterbag.com

Not sure if they ship to Canada or not.

According to their web site they do ship to Canada and by USPS as well so no brokerage fees. I was looking at the 100 micron nylon bags, only around $4.00 each but there is a minimum 25 pc order.

lastlight
09-29-2009, 03:42 AM
My return pipe just extends down into my sump and is submerged. I don't have room really to make a nice tray with filter sock holes for the water to fall into. Is it ok to just rubber-band the sock onto the end of a pipe and have the whole sock submerged? Or will this be a bad idea? I actually want to use them and don't mind buying a bunch so I can swap'em every day.

Dez
09-29-2009, 03:48 AM
According to their web site they do ship to Canada and by USPS as well so no brokerage fees. I was looking at the 100 micron nylon bags, only around $4.00 each but there is a minimum 25 pc order.

Want to split on an order maybe? Let me know via PM.

Des