PDA

View Full Version : SW snail question

Palmer
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I havea newb question about SW snails. I have heard of snail population growth getting out of control in freshwater tanks (never kept them myself.) In reading about SW snails on the forum this doesn't seem to come up in discussion. Do any of the commonly kept CUC SW snails reproduce and overpopulate the tank?

thanks!

Palmer

Leah
09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
No worries!

Myka
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Most of them will not reproduce (or at least their babies won't survive), and those that will won't become a nuisance. Generally speaking anyway. There are nuisance snails though.

Kronk
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I had a huge population of nocturnal 1/4" snails that were obviously breeding as they eventually nearly covered every square inch of the glass at night but dissappeared during the day. There population dropped almost to zero when I moved a year ago but they seem to be building back up. They are like night time janitors its great I think the name starts with a C, columboidal... colonista ... or something like that...

kien
09-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Some of my snails reproduce like rabbits and litter the rank with eggs. The eggs just end up being a light snack for my wrasses and probably other fish. Have never had a snail population explosion.