PDA

View Full Version : Could a CBS eat a Firefish??

barkingmad
09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone...I am new on here but joined to see if you can help me. I have a blue-leg coral banded shrimp in my tank, he is a pretty big guy about 1-1.5 inch body. We don't see him much during the day as he hides in his cave. Anyways what I am wondering is could he eat a firefish? I had the firefish in there for only a few days, and he seems to have just gone missing, but was doing fine otherwise. This is a pretty big fish, much bigger than the shrimp, but he did lie to hang out in the same spot as the CBS.

The firefish didn't jump out and we can't find any evidence of a body. Any guesses? I also had two peppermint shrimp that I haven't seen at all for a while, but I never saw them often so they could just be doing there thing.

I really want to get some clown gobies but I am seriously worried if the CBS ate the big firefish. If he is a fish eater I would like to bring him back to the store that sold him to me.

sarzeff
09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe this is what happened to mine??? The LFS sold me a coral banded shrimp saying it was reefsafe....my firefish went missing out of thin air yesterday no idea what happened.

mandarin man
09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I never had a CSB before. From what I read and learn from others, it does kill small fishes and eat inverts. I would not keep it in my reef tank.

Leah
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I would not put one in a reef tank either

sarzeff
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
PHEW. My fish just showed up again. Must have been in a good hiding spot.

subman
09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Coral banded can definitely catch and kill small fish! I wouldn't keep it with small fish. See if you can bring it back.

BlueWorldAquatic
09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Firefish are hiders. They will go into hiding for days before showing up sometimes. I've even seen them go missing for weeks.

Ken - BWA

Jason McK
09-27-2009, 08:36 PM
My wife had a purple firefish in her 14G nano. It was the stupidest thing and would wiggle under a rock and disappear for weeks at a time. Just when we thought it was dead, it would come out for food.