PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Live Brine Shrimp

Samw
04-10-2002, 09:28 PM
I'm aware of the lack of nutritional value in adult brine shrimp. However, I'm interested to find a store near downtown Vancouver that sells it. It use to be so easy to find 10 years ago. Now, hardly anyone sells it. The only place I know of that sells it is King Eds. But they close before I get off work and their shipment is on Monday so by the weekend, most of the shrimp have died. Is there another place close to downtown that sells it? I've already tried Fraser Aquarium, Big Al's, Aquariums West, Noah's Ark, Pet Habitat Richmond, and Oranda. That about covers most of the pet shops nearby.

Shadetree
04-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Pauls Aquarium in Surrey gets it in on Monday afternoons but it usually does not last long either. Why don't you buy the eggs from J&L and hatch them and load them up with selcon. It is very easy to do.

Scott

Mak
04-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Any tips for a good set up? Thx ;)

Samw
04-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks for suggestion. Do you know if Paul's is opened after 7pm on Monday?

I do have eggs and I hatch them once in a while as treats for my mandarin and clowns. But I think it would not be worth it to raise the baby brine shrimp to adults in my apartment. I only want to feed new fish with it until they learn to accept dead food.

canadawest
04-11-2002, 03:43 AM
Live baby brine shrimp enriched with Selcon have far more nutritional value than adult brine shrimp, they're just smaller that's all.

I have a constant hatchery going at my house (due to the baby Bangaiis) and it's really easy. Two 2L pop bottles, and air pump, airline tubing and some silicone sealant, that's it.

You're welcome to come by and check my setup out anytime. Bring a couple 2L pop bottles with you and we'll make your hatchery right here.

It only takes 24-48 hours for the brine shrimp to hatch and a full 2L bottle seeded with a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs lasts me a little more than a week with 3X a day feedings of the little guys.

canadawest
04-11-2002, 03:44 AM
Forgot to add that brine shrimp eggs are CHEAP, so you would also save a lot over buying live adult brine shrimp.

Samw
04-11-2002, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by canadawest:

You're welcome to come by and check my setup out anytime. Bring a couple 2L pop bottles with you and we'll make your hatchery right here.

It only takes 24-48 hours for the brine shrimp to hatch and a full 2L bottle seeded with a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs lasts me a little more than a week with 3X a day feedings of the little guys.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for your offer Andrew. But I don't need to crank out that much baby brine shrimp. I have one of those small hatcheries from San Francisco Bay company (I think that's the name), which satisfies my needs. The adult shrimps are for bigger fish like Angels, Tangs, and Butterflies. I don't think those fish would be interested in or see baby brine shrimp.

Well, currently my larger fish are eating Ocean Nutrition Green and Red Seaweed Selects so I guess I don't really need the adult brine shrimp. But it was just something I wanted to feed for variety (and for fun to watch) but I guess it isn't necessary considering the lack of nutritional value of adult brine shrimp.

[ 11 April 2002, 00:42: Message edited by: Sam W ]