PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a switch to T5's

impreza
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi,

I currently have a 250W MH pendant over my 28G nano cube and find that it runs a bit too hot for my liking.

I'm looking at the 24" Sunlight Supply Teklight 4-bulb unit. Anyone have experiences with this fixture? I am new to T5's and don't really know which fixture is considered to be the "best" - at a reasonable price.

Also, who carries these fixtures at the best price? (Either online or local in Calgary).

Thanks!

lorenz0
09-26-2009, 01:18 AM
T5's are great but i would not switch up a 250mh for a 4 bulb T5 set up. Try looking into a 6 bulb fixture due to the output. As for picking them up, red coral brings them in.

impreza
09-26-2009, 01:27 AM
^Thanks. I can't find any 6 bulb 24" fixtures though.....

intarsiabox
09-26-2009, 02:06 AM
ATI T5 HO fixtures have 6 bulb models. Reef Geek carries them. They are more expensive than Teks though. The Sunpower models are cheaper than the Powermodules, seem the same except for less fans.

Canadian
09-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Here you go. One of the board's sponsors sells ATI Sunpower fixtures:

http://progressivereef.com/t5-lighting.php

I've had a 6x24W Sunpower for about 9 months now and am very happy with it. Dollar for dollar I'd say a 6x24W Sunpower would be your best bet for switching to T5's. Unfortunately I bought mine from ReefGeek when the dollar sucked and paid way more than Progressive Reef is selling them for.

impreza
09-26-2009, 02:52 AM
^Thanks. Had no idea those even existed, and wow, they look good!

Are there any Canadian stores that sell these? I don't mind the price difference, I just want to do it right the first time!

Stones
09-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Progressive Reef is Canadian so you'd be much better off giving them the business and avoiding the extra shipping/duty had you ordered from Reef Geek.

You will be very happy making the switch from MH to T5's. Not only will your tank run cooler but you'll be able to customize the colour of the outputted light spectrum to suit your personal taste and coral selection.

intarsiabox
09-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Ottawa Inverts sells them as well but may need to call them for actual stock. Progressive Reef is also canadian and has free shipping on items over $200.00.

Myka
09-26-2009, 03:46 AM
What corals are you keeping? I am a halide fan through and through, but I prefer T5s on nanos for sure.

lorenz0
09-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Here you go. One of the board's sponsors sells ATI Sunpower fixtures:

http://progressivereef.com/t5-lighting.php

I've had a 6x24W Sunpower for about 9 months now and am very happy with it. Dollar for dollar I'd say a 6x24W Sunpower would be your best bet for switching to T5's. Unfortunately I bought mine from ReefGeek when the dollar sucked and paid way more than Progressive Reef is selling them for.

lol the other T5 troll comes out. very true what canadian has said. you will not regret a sunpower, best bang for your buck and out performs tek's due to better ballast and better reflectors.

but remember it all comes down to bulb choices when it comes to color in t5's. i lost alot of color with mostly 14k bulbs but gained double the growth.

Canadian
09-26-2009, 04:53 AM
lol the other T5 troll comes out. very true what canadian has said. you will not regret a sunpower, best bang for your buck and out performs tek's due to better ballast and better reflectors.

but remember it all comes down to bulb choices when it comes to color in t5's. i lost alot of color with mostly 14k bulbs but gained double the growth.

Ssshhhhh. Be very, very quiet or the MH Gestapo will hear you and "educate" us about how T5's just don't work. Ssshhhhh.

lorenz0
09-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Sometimes stirring the pot is fun lol, i like to hear what people have to say

forgot that nothing can replace MH lighting, funny how SPS junkies switch from MH to T5 and just don't want to go back due to color....

kien
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Funny I have never heard anyone say that t5s "don't work" :-) some of the best tanks I've seen over the past few months run T5s exclusively.

TheMikey
09-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I love my T5s on my nano. I get some very nice colour (bulbs are 3 x 22K Aquascience, 1 x 15K Aquascience). My SPS's polyps are growing and always out and my clam is, well, happy as a clam.

Eventually when I'm out of school and can afford a larger setup I will most certainly keep on the T5 wagon.

impreza
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
The T5 will be for my 28G JBJ nano-cube. I have a few SPS and a few clam's, but don't plan to do an SPS dominated tank. I am more so wanting a clam, acan, zoa, type of tank. Would 6 bulbs be overkill for my purposes? Or should I stick with 4 bulbs?

Also, what are the major differences between the Sunpower and the Powermodule? Is the Powermodule worth the price difference?

Thanks,

Myka
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
What type of clam? You may have troubles keeping a Crocea or Maxima in a tank with Zoas and Acans since the latter two are relatively low light corals (or they will bleach out), and Crocea and Maxima are both high light clams. Although a Crocea would be a good choice for your tank since it stays smaller. Both Squamosa and Derasa would be good choices for a 4-bulb T5 fixture, but they both get big. Zoas and Acans would probably get too much light from a 6-bulb fixture imo. When I had a 2x39w T5 fixture on my standard 33g tank my Acans and Blastos wanted to be near the sand, but of course the 39w bulbs are significantly stronger than 24w.

banditpowdercoat
09-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Not allways, My Crocea was doing great in my 45g tank with 4 Tek Light. Little more mantle extension now under the MH, but no change in the brillant colors.

impreza
09-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks! I think I am going to go with a 4x24w Powermodule. Now I just gotta see who has stock!

Any bulb recommendations? I want a nice crisp blue with good growth :biggrin:

Boomboy
09-26-2009, 04:21 PM
ah the " good ol' " debate about MH and T5's

TheMikey
09-26-2009, 04:24 PM
From what I've read, the Aquascience 22K have about as good PAR rating (for growth) as you can get from a blue bulb. That's why I've got three :D

Doug
09-26-2009, 05:09 PM
ah the " good ol' " debate about MH and T5's

:agrue:

:lalala:

Myka
09-26-2009, 06:31 PM
If you like the blue look try using (2) AquaScience 22000K, and (2) KZ Fiji Purple. Or to be even bluer replace one of the FPs with a UVL Super Actinic. Or for a little less blue try replacing one of the FPs with a KZ Coral Light. That will make the colors pop, and have good PAR.

banditpowdercoat
09-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I second the AS22000 and Fiji Purp. But, took me a while to get used to the Fiji.

lorenz0
09-26-2009, 08:27 PM
pure actinics are a waste of a bulb, esspecially with only 4 bulbs. personally i would go with 2 AS 22k and 2 AS 17.5K. aqua science bulbs are tied with KZ for my favorite bulbs. and in calgary red coral ussually has them in stock

Myka
09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
pure actinics are a waste of a bulb, esspecially with only 4 bulbs.

There are a few that still have great output, the UVL is one of them, and it works wonders to improve the visual appeal of the corals.

lorenz0
09-26-2009, 10:01 PM
There are a few that still have great output, the UVL is one of them, and it works wonders to improve the visual appeal of the corals.

I don't know where your info is from but UVL super actinic's are still on the average of low par readings. why run a bulb with an output in the low 200 par range when you can run something in the low 300's. 22,000k bulbs is what replaces pure actinic's, still makes your colors pop while being a good growing lamp

Myka
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know where your info is from but UVL super actinic's are still on the average of low par readings. why run a bulb with an output in the low 200 par range when you can run something in the low 300's. 22,000k bulbs is what replaces pure actinic's, still makes your colors pop while being a good growing lamp

You're talking about 30% difference on 25% (1 of 4) of the bulbs which makes the total output of the 4 bulbs 8% less by using one actinic. Come on now, you think 8% is a big deal???

An actinic will enhance coral colors better than a blue bulb. Provided the actinic is actually 420nm. If you're really that concerned, you could use a 50/50 Blue Plus instead...

Technically, you need to add a lower Kelvin bulb or two to increase growth. Blue bulbs are not ideal for growth at all, they just look perty.

lorenz0
09-27-2009, 01:19 AM
proof? almost all of the t5 configurations i have seen never include pure actinic's. If you can give me some solid evidence i would love putting it to the test with my own set up