PDA

View Full Version : Averted a disaster

mseepman
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
So for some reason I had trouble sleeping last night. After waking up repeatedly feeling that something was "amiss" with my tanks...I got up to check. Wouldn't you know it, my heater was stuck on in my 70G and my temperature was up to 86.9 degrees.:twised:

I have no idea why I felt something was up but I quickly pulled the heater (a stealth bought only short while ago) and did a partial water change (5%) to bring the temp down a little.

Went back to bed with the temp at 83.4 degrees and hoped for the best. Got up this morning and everything looks okay and happy and the tank is 78.8 degrees again.

Now I just need to get another heater in there to ensure it doesn't dip low on me which I think is almost more harmful on everything.

Someone upstairs was looking out for me last night!:biggrin:

Delphinus
09-25-2009, 10:50 PM
That's awesome that you found something before it became a sad story.

PuffLuv
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
That is awesome! The force is strong with you!:biggrin:

Myka
09-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Holy crap!!! :eek: I'm glad to hear everything is ok! When replacing your heater buy two smaller ones so that if one gets stuck on again it won't have enough power to heat up the whole tank. Say, if you need a 300W heater, buy two 150W instead. I have have had heaters stick on and fry my tank too, not once, but TWICE. I wasn't as lucky as you. No one was upstairs looking out for me! :p

mseepman
09-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I run a controller on my nano tank so this sort of thing couldn't happen, but the big tank is all powerbars and timers.

This heater is still under warranty so I will look to get it fixed and then consider what my options are for controlling it in some way besides the on-board temp control.