PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Fish Feeders - Opinions/Suggestions Wanted!

PuffLuv
09-25-2009, 02:10 AM
In the past I have been fortunate enough to have someone come over to feed my livestock, however, that may change over Christmas. I would like to know everyone's opinion, and why they prefer one auto-feeder over another. The one I purchase will be used to feed a small amount of pellet food, 2-3 times daily. I have an open top, and a center brace that it could rest on or zip tie. However, a clamp-on might give more placement options and be more aesthetically pleasing. Also, some form of power backup is desirable (ie. batteries), however I could plug it into a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
Are some feeders more prone to clumping from moisture? (I do have an open top)

Auto Feeders I'm considering are:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/FD-HFDNM2/Nutrimatic+2X+Automatic+Fish+Food+Feeder.html

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2302/Hydor-Auto-Feeder/

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/em-zfeed/Eheim+Automatic+Feeder.html

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/fd-aprff/Aquarium+Phram.+Rena+LG100+Automatic+Fish+Feeder.h tml

Is the heating module in the Rena much better than the air line with the Hydor? Also, light sensor....?

Are all of the feeders except the cheap one, a zip-tie installation?

Thanks for your input!

mark
09-25-2009, 02:26 AM
how long you gone for (as might be safe for the fish to go without for a few days)?

subman
09-25-2009, 02:27 AM
I have the Rena and I love it. I bought it for holidays and have never taken it off. I thought the heater was a joke but I have never had a clog! It has a mounting bracket (no zip ties). One of the best things I've bought.

PuffLuv
09-25-2009, 02:35 AM
how long you gone for (as might be safe for the fish to go without for a few days)?
I'll be off to Las Vegas for about a week( can't wait!):biggrin:

I have the Rena and I love it. I bought it for holidays and have never taken it off. I thought the heater was a joke but I have never had a clog! It has a mounting bracket (no zip ties). One of the best things I've bought.
Thanks for the input subman! More feedback like this please!:biggrin:

leducreef
09-25-2009, 05:26 AM
ya i would go with the rena

globaldesigns
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I go all the time and leave my fish for 3-4 days... it doesn't seem to hurt them, just very hungry on my return.

Let me know how the feeder works, as I would seriously think about one for myself if I go away longer or if these things actually do work.

My worries are that it dumps the whole thing in the tank.

PuffLuv
09-25-2009, 07:57 PM
ya i would go with the rena
Do you have or had one in the past? Have you had others to compare it to?
My worries are that it dumps the whole thing in the tank.
I didn't even think of that, has anyone heard of any particular models that do this? Or ones to stay away from?

Thanks again everyone for their feedback! Keep it coming...:biggrin:

subman
09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I went away for over a month and have been using the rena for about 3 months now and it has been flawless! Even now when I am at home I leave it on and just supplement with a little frozen as a treat. I can't see any possible way for it to over feed just based on the design.

mike31154
09-26-2009, 03:18 AM
I use an Eheim 3582 Twin feeder. Two compartments allow more flexibility in type of food and intervals. It's in constant use, both when I'm home and away. When home I supplement with frozen for the evening feeding, the remainder of the time, the feeder does it's thing. It's not inexpensive and also fairly large. I ended up building a bracket/holder out of acrylic to hang it on the rim. I needed a ramp to tilt it slightly in order for it to dispense larger flakes. The auger mechanism tends to favour smaller morsels and very large flakes can hang up. Other than that, it's a great unit. Here's a link with additional info.

http://www.aquariumproonline.com/Product%20Reviews/eheim_3582_twin.aspx

whatcaneyedo
09-26-2009, 05:48 AM
I've got the Eheim Automatic Feeder you listed. Its prevented from falling over with weights in the base of the unit but if you think you might bump it in a zip tie might be a good idea. I've been using it off and on for the last two years whenever I'm out of town to feed pelleted food to my tank and always had good results with it.

PuffLuv
09-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks again for the reviews everyone! It looks like no matter which feeder I chose, I might have to either zip-tie it or build a custom bracket. I guess every feeder has its pros and cons, though it would be nice to see one that has everything (ie. programmable timer, solid mounting options, anti-clumping, battery backup, etc). At the moment, it seems the Eheim and the Rena are the best ones available...:juggle:

subman
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
The Rena comes with a mounting bracket!

PuffLuv
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Do you use the mounting bracket for the Rena? My friend said it was garbage...not a big deal though.

subman
09-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I do. I mean it's a wire bracket but after playing with it for a while it works great. (how can you tell I like this product:redface:)

PuffLuv
09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
LOL!:biggrin: Cool, good to hear!

kien
12-14-2009, 06:04 PM
so which one did you end up getting ? Curious to hear your thoughts as I am off on Vacation in the near future and have narrowed down my choice between the Eheim and Rena as well.. I have a tank sitter but they won't be feeding the tank. I just want them to pop in infrequently to make sure the tank's contents haven't somehow ended up on the floor :lol: (not that they'd be able to do anything about it other than to throw some towels down.. :cry: )

PuffLuv
12-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I completely forgot to get back to this thread! :mrgreen: I ended up picking up an AquaChef auto feeder from Kelly @ The Reef Shoppe. There seemed to be pros and cons to every feeder that I researched, until I came across this little unit: http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_91&products_id=429&zenid=b89877fe6e25747ef866c47ec112b84b

It has everything I was looking for, at a fraction of the price of some other feeders, including:
* good mounting bracket
* easy to set clock with adjustable times throughout the day for feedings, including multiple feedings
* moisture resistance
* easy to set the feeding portions, and holds quite a bit
* small size
* manual feed button
* battery operated

I've been using it for a couple months now and have been very happy with it, and I definitely recommend it.