PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater dipping?

burrows14
09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
It seems my fish are fighting some sort of paracite. I've heard about freshwater dipping but not sure how it works or it is done. Is it recommend to dip corals and LR? I'm willing to break down the tank And clean it out and start the tank over but I would like to save my lil fishies too

cheers
Ray

ElGuappo
09-24-2009, 10:46 PM
i wouldnt dip the rock or corals in FW but the fish maybe. i used to dip all my fish in fw when bought. all i would do is net them and dip the net for 3-7 minutes in my fw tank and thats that.

burrows14
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
The reason I was thinking about the rock is because I thought the paracite would attach it self to it and if I started the tank over I would just have the same problem

globaldesigns
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Can you post some pictures of the fish with the parasites. This way we can better see what is happening.

Thanks.

Leah
09-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Watch the fish closely though

burrows14
09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't have a good camera but my 2 clowns and neon goby have spots on their fins and almost look like they have a fuzz/bubbles on them. I had my royal gramma pass away on Saturday and he looked to have the samething but it was effecting his ability to swim. I've been feeding them daily with garlic extreme and selcon added to their food for the last 2 weeks and have kept a close eye on my parameters too

naesco
09-25-2009, 03:03 AM
If it looks fuzzy as opposed to spots, pimples or salt like specks it is probably a fungus.
An excellent product is made by Mardel but you have to remove the fish into a QT to do it.
It will clear it up quickly
Rocks do not get fungus so forget about the rocks.
A freshwater dip will do nothing for fungus except stress the fish.
Continue with the garlic extract but add a few drops of selcon because when the fungus is killed the sore needs to heal.

Check your water parameters because fungus often surfaces when water quality is not up to par although it might have come in with the last fish you added.

burrows14
09-25-2009, 03:37 AM
a fungus sounds about right. iwas iwas thinking about turning my biocube into a qt anyway. do you think it would be safe to add the rock from my BC to the sump of my 120? i dont want to transfer that fungus into my 120 at all!!

cheers
Ray

naesco
09-25-2009, 03:48 AM
a fungus sounds about right. iwas iwas thinking about turning my biocube into a qt anyway. do you think it would be safe to add the rock from my BC to the sump of my 120? i dont want to transfer that fungus into my 120 at all!!

cheers
Ray

The biocube is OK.
All you need is a clean glass, or plastic container.
Transfer some water from your tank and stick a heater in it and powerhead in it.
Place the fish in it and follow the medication directions. I think it just takes a couple of days so there will be no ammonia issues.

If I were you I would leave the rock in the BC while the fish are being treated in another vessel.
That way the BC can still be used as a tank in the future.
5 or 10 gallon tanks are cheap.

burrows14
09-25-2009, 04:00 AM
yeah five and tens are super cheap even brand new at the LFS. by any chance do you remember the name of the mardel product? what else should be in a qt tank? other than heater,powerhead,etc...

naesco
09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
yeah five and tens are super cheap even brand new at the LFS. by any chance do you remember the name of the mardel product? what else should be in a qt tank? other than heater,powerhead,etc...

Mardel Maroxy Anti Fungal for Saltwater.

Many LFS carry useless anti-fungal, parasite and bacterial medications so phone first otherwise you will be chasing all over town.

A hiding place(s), and a small cheap filter to clear the water.

Do a 20+- water change daily, use a turkey baster to siphon out any crude on the bottom and feed less.

burrows14
09-25-2009, 06:08 AM
ok that sounds very doable! should have everything up and running by sunday. thanks naesco!

Ray

ElGuappo
09-25-2009, 08:26 PM
i had the same thing on my clowns and used mardel "maracyn 2 " it was a fw treatment but did the trick (same Symptoms. and i coudnt find any SW meds and needed it ASAP). total QT time was a month. i also restored the rock back to dispay after another month, and a few water changes. all i used was a 10g , ac hob filter and heater and a rock i pulled from the display.

The fungis my clowns showed was a white cotton ball looking thing. ate their gills and fins a little. no signs since. My advice is that if you go thru all the trouble to set up a QT tank DONT RUSH it. make sure their all good before removing.

naesco
09-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Marycin 2 is for bacteria infections

MarOxy is for fungal and bacterial infections and you only use it for a few days.

""Safe, stable and non-staining MarOxy treats fungal, as well as bacterial diseases such as clamped fins, swollen eyes, and patchy coloration. Use of a hospital tank is recommended. Active ingredient: stabilized chlorine oxides. 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons daily, for no more than 5 days. 1 oz. treats 25 gallons for 5 days. For fresh and saltwater.""