PDA

View Full Version : How Is Your Filtration System Setup

hummer
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Just wondering how people have their filtration set up. When I first started out, I had 2 mechanical filters running micro filter, carbon, phosphate remover and amnonia remover. Then I got some advice to remove the mechanical filters and replace it with a phosban reactor and run only carbon. I've been running this setup for over a year on a 90gal. Everything is still looking fine.

globaldesigns
09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
My 180 Gallon Display has 2 overflows that go into a 105 Gallon Refugium

Refugium: water flows over a deep sand bed also filled with tons of live rock and live rubble... At the end of this flow is a Tunze 9010 Skimmer...it then dumps into a skimmer chamber and there is a EuroReef RS180... It then goes through a bubble trap where carbon and ZeoVit (Zeolite Reactor) can do their job... Then through another bubble trap then to the last chamber where the water return pump, sends it back up.

And there is is in a nutshell... I run nothing else and no filter socks.

Drock169
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
My 125 runs a ER CS180, and my 40 runs a Deltec MCE-300. No other filtration other than rock and sand.

hummer
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I run nothing else and no filter socks.

Did you have to add the extra skimmer because you are not using filter socks? I have a RS100. I tried taking the filter socks off for 1 month (from a different thread I was reading). After I put it back on they got dirty really fast.

Lance
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
My 225g drains into the 70g sump through a filter sock; MR3 skimmer with dual becketts; refugium with DSB, live rock, and macroalgae. Phosphate reactor running GFO, another reactor running carbon and a third reactor running nitrate sponge.

The 90g drains into 54g sump through a filter sock, skimmed by a Tunze 9010; refugium with DSB, live rock and macro algae. Phosphate reactor running GFO, and dual reactor running carbon and nitrate sponge.

kien
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
There's about 100lbs of live rock in the DT to do some bio filtration.

Sump filtration setup consists of:

Section 1: Water flows into this section via two 1" pipes from the DT. This section houses a Hydor 700 skimmer and a pump that pumps water into two phosban reactors (1 for carbon and one for Rowaphos).

Section 2: in the middle of the sump is the return section

Section 3: is my refugium which has its own 1" feed from the DT. In here I have 3 inches of sand, a layer of live rock/rubble, then a layer of macro algae (which doesn't seem to grow that well :( .. not enough nutrients I guess.. )

No filter socks or mechanical filters.

mark
09-24-2009, 01:57 AM
From the BB display about 700gph through a sock then skimmer compartment and ~300gph to a separate macro fuge that flows to the sump. Bag of carbon between the baffles in the sump. No sand, just LR, NO3 zero or near zero, phosphates zero, no nuisance algae but some issues with SPS (STN/RTN).

globaldesigns
09-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Did you have to add the extra skimmer because you are not using filter socks? I have a RS100. I tried taking the filter socks off for 1 month (from a different thread I was reading). After I put it back on they got dirty really fast.

No, I am following the European way of things, and the way alot of them set things up with Zeovit. I should say that I did run filter socks down below at the overflow exit to the sump in the beginning, but now things are pretty clean and so I don't anymore.

On a side not: having 2 skimmers are nice, as I camp with the family quite a bit (could be gone for 3-4 days at a time), if one quits the other can keep things clean. So hopefully I don't get any surprises if this does happen