PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a woodshop?

Binare
09-23-2009, 03:47 AM
I'm lookin to build a simple stand out of 3/4 ply. Problem is I don't have decent table saw anymore. I know home depot etc do "rough cuts" but that usually means within 1/4" not quite precise enough. Or anyone know of a shop that will do cuts? Ill pay anyone who can help me out of course, frags, cash, beer... Whatever ya like.

Just need the cuts, assemble I got covered.

The Codfather
09-23-2009, 03:54 AM
too bad your not in edmonton, have a table saw and beer. I am sure someone will chime in.
Bob

Delphinus
09-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Really, only to 1/4" ? FWIW, that's not been my experience with Home Depot. I just give them the measurements and they cut it on that wicked cool sideways table saw (enormous) in the back. I've even brought in wood I didn't buy at the store, although I think I had to pay $1 per cut or something like that.

Something you might want to look into closer if you can't find someone with a table saw. Too bad Kari moved away, he was up in your neck of the woods, and was the total DIY/acrylic/woodworking/reeftank guru. But he went and moved to the great lakes on us!!

Binare
09-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Ya I've got stuff cut there, its more or less a disclaimer. They don't want to be responsible for off measures. Only time I've gotten good cuts at home depot was when I finally convinced him to let me use the cabinet saw myself. Totem will do accurate cuts if its not busy. Other problem is there blades rarely get sharpened and are usually cheapo ripping blades. Was hopin for someone with a half decent table and atleast a combo blade lol, nooo I'm not picky. Should tell this Kari to smarten up n move back, lakes? Pfffft, we got wheat!

Glennrf38
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
If you are down in the SW Shawnessey, you are more than welcome to borrow my table saw. It isn't a great one but with a little setup, it cuts pretty good. Bought it at a garage sale for real cheap..

Glenn

Murminator
09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
When I built my stand HD cuts were exact what I gave them

andestang
09-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm down in Okotoks, might be to far for ya, but I have wood working stuff, just I might not be much help, have a broken arm. As for HD I've had very good cuts done there, just try to do it when they are'nt busy.

Planeguy
09-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately me and my saw are too far away, but I know what you mean about HD. I am glad some people have had a good experience, but in Regina I have heard of a number of complaints. I used to work a smaller version of that huge panel saw, and if the operator doesn't know what he is doing, the cuts will be off.

I am not sure what they are like in Calgary, but have you tried Windsor Plywood? They do a good job here.

sphelps
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a table saw but I still get plywood cut at HD for the most part. They use pretty high quality panel saws which seem to produce very accurate cuts even when the operator isn't the most experienced. It's way easier than using a table saw to cut large 8x4 sheets.

Any table or panel saw will only make rough cuts, which is all you need for what you're doing. If you wanted a finish cut you would likely use a jointer or router after the rough cut. Rough cuts however would be more accurate than 1/4", well within 1/8" or even 1/16" is easily achievable.

lastlight
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I've got a laser-guided hand-saw if you're interested =)

my HD cuts on the big machine have always been accurate dimensionally but yeah the quality of the cuts are pretty rough.

Binare
09-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Well I took the plunge and hit home depot up. Actually got perfect or near perfect cuts. Little splintering, expected with ply though without taping. Didnt charge me for all my cuts. Thanks for all the advice and the offers to help out! my wife and little one will be happy the new tank will soon have a stand, instead of middle of the kitchen hehe. If any one needs electrical help, hit me up!