PDA

View Full Version : Controller setups

mseepman
09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
So I'm getting very close to starting my build thread for a new tank in a new house. My plan is to have the tank upstairs and the fish room downstairs along with the sump, fuge, frag tank and water change setups.

My question is, for those of you that have controllers, how do you set them up to run items both on the display and down in a fish room? I obviously would want it to control my lighting and possibly pumps in the display, but I would also like it to control dosing and lighting on my tanks in the fishroom...is there any way to do this?

For some reason, despite my searches, I can't find anyone mentioning this on any forum.

Thanks.

Binare
09-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I've thought about how I'd do this too. Being an electrician I decided to to install a receptacle behind my tank. Splitting the plug and fed from the fish room into a junction box. Two cabtire cords made up going from the box and plugging into my controller. That gives me 2 controlled outlets... One for lights and one for pumps upstairs.

mseepman
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Okay, this is what I was thinking too...I think....could you re-phrase in more laymans terms?

Are you saying you would put two outlets by the display which would terminate in the fishroom in a "closed loop" where they would be male ends which would plug into the controller powerbar?

whatcaneyedo
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I use extension cords so that I can have everything that I want automated plugged into the same ACIII powerbar (a DC8).

mseepman
09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I realize that extensions are the easiest solution but I'm hesitant to have them hidden in the walls. I also like the professional look of finishing the job with outlets of some kind.

Albertan22
09-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't have a controller, but don't the reefkeeper controllers from digital aquatics use a phone line or network cable or something to connect the head unit to the powerbars? I did a bunch of research on them awhile back and really like them. They have hub modules that allow you to split the line as well, so you could run a single line (phone or networking cable as it may be) through the wall down to the basement, and have the option of expanding to many different modules and powerbars as you need/want to.

shrimpchips
09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Most of the controllers I think have longer cables so you can run pumps and lights on separate powerbars farther from the head unit.

mark
09-23-2009, 01:41 AM
there are controllers that allow multiple displays and control points

whatcaneyedo
09-23-2009, 01:46 AM
The Neptune Aquacontroller models uses phone cables as well to connect multiple powerbars in a 'daisy chain' up to a limited distance from the head unit. I think the new Apex's have USB cables which can extend over much further distances.

I only have 8 items controlled by my ACIII so I use a single DC8 powerbar with extension cords.

Binare
09-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Okay, this is what I was thinking too...I think....could you re-phrase in more laymans terms?

Are you saying you would put two outlets by the display which would terminate in the fishroom in a "closed loop" where they would be male ends which would plug into the controller powerbar?

If you want more indepth information on "fishing" in an extra outlet, pm me and ill try and describe it best I can. On a 120v 15a duplex or decora outlet, there are tabs that can be broken between the screws on both sides (line & id). This lets you have a split receptacle, these how 99% of kitchen counter outlets are, my house also has a switched outlet in the living room for a lamp, only the bottom of the receptacle is switched, top is not. What I'm gonna do is split the line side of the plug, leave the id side intact. Run 14/3 lumex from my fish room to my new receptacle upstairs. Keep the id side of the plug intact (dont break the tab) and terminate the white wire there. On the line side MAKE SURE YOU BREAK THE TAB between the screws and terminate the red & black there, one per screw. if you don't break the tab on the line side you'll create a dead short doing this. now you've created a split plug, top and bottom are fed seperately. In your basement, terminate the 14/3 lumex in a 4x4 box. Dont forget your grounds. From that box terminate two cords (I use kellum grips and soow 14/3 with cord ends) one line from each cord to either/or the red/black wire from the lumex, and all 3 whites together. don't forget the grounds again.

This will only work "properly" if your controller outlet relays switch line AND not id, if the relay switches line and id, then your going to have to run 2 14/2 upto your receptacle and split both line and id tabs on the plug. One 14/2 does the top, the other does the bottom. I say "properly" cause it may or may not work if the relay is 2 pole and not single pole, so better off running two 14/2 instead of the 3wire. My dc8 is all single pole relays so i can just run a 14/3.

Hope that made sense, hard to explain that crap.

Binare
09-23-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't have a controller, but don't the reefkeeper controllers from digital aquatics use a phone line or network cable or something to connect the head unit to the powerbars? I did a bunch of research on them awhile back and really like them. They have hub modules that allow you to split the line as well, so you could run a single line (phone or networking cable as it may be) through the wall down to the basement, and have the option of expanding to many different modules and powerbars as you need/want to.

I have an ACJR & RKL so i'm not sure about any other model, but both max out at 12 outlets. the RKL outlets come in 4's so yes you can run 4 plugs upstairs, if you only need two up there though you have wasted 2 "precious" outlets and it cost you about 140 bucks with exchange and shipping for the 4 outlets. Same deal with the ACJR, except it cost ya 20 or 30 bucks more.

banditpowdercoat
09-23-2009, 03:11 AM
WOW, I cant belive it didnt censor "horse*****" The other name I use for them is kellum grips

Binare
09-23-2009, 03:36 AM
WOW, I cant belive it didnt censor "*********" The other name I use for them is kellum grips

Oooh ya, ill change that... Get so used to it at work I forget hehe.

Dez
09-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Hello,

I have an Aquacontroller III and it is upstairs with my display tank and my sump and fishroom is downstairs. I have 8 outlets controlled upstairs and 8 outlets controlled downstairs. It just uses a regular phone cable (I bough my 20 foot phone cable from Home Depot). I ran the phone cable beside my plumbing that leads to the basement and put the other 8 outlets (DC8) in the basement. So from upstairs I can turn my fuge light on, or my return pump on or off, or control my calcium reactor etc....

I hope this helps. All it was for me was a long phone cable that did the trick.

mseepman
09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Good to know. Thanks