PDA

View Full Version : chiller questions....

bloat
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Just hooked up a Custom Sealife Chiller and was wonderinig...

How often should the chiller be running?
Is it normal for it to run for 4-6 hrs straight?

christyf5
09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I had a PCI chiller, it would kick on fairly often during really warm days. I dont't think it ever ran for 4-6 hours straight but it could very well be on for the majority of the time.

I would check your chiller to see what the setting is for the range of temperatures it turns on at. Mine had a 2 degree span (2 degrees on either side of the set temperature) and a 4 degree span. I found that if I set it on the 2 degree one, the chiller would run until it blew a fuse. Once I set it to the 4 degree setting it was fine and didn't come on as often (which was still fairly often on hot days).

You might want to think about setting the chiller a bit higher if your water volume is close to the maximum for whatever temperature pulldown you are trying to achieve.

Also, how much flow do you have running through it? If the flow is too much for it, it will try to chill the water and not be able to as its passing by the coils too fast.

Another thing, make sure there is plenty of air circulation around the chiller. The amount of heat those things pump out is crazy and if you have it next to a wall and the hot air is surrounding it, it could get cranky and come on more often.

Just throwing some ideas out there for you. I hope one of them hits the mark.

bloat
09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks,
I was just wondering what "normal" operation for a chiller is.
Sounds like its running fairly normal.
I will try your 4 degree spread idea to see how it works.

Thanks.

christyf5
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Ah ok :biggrin: However, IMO, its not "normal" for it to be running 4-6 hours straight (ie never turns off for that period). If that is the case where you are present and it never turns off for that period, its running too hard IMO and you might want to either look into the 4 degree spread or reset it for a higher temperature. The harder it works the quicker it will wear out.

bloat
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree.......its only been up and running for a day though....so I need to tinker a bit.....but we'll see how it runs during the next couple days with a four degree spread....its gunna be 32 degrees tomorrow!! Gotta love this summer:lol:...just doesn't want to end...