PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Yellow Candy Hogfish? Bodianus bimaculatus

Myka
09-22-2009, 12:38 AM
How is its reef behavior? Any nipping at corals or clams? Do you have any other wrasses with it? How many Candy's do you keep?

I'm tossing around the idea of a few Candy Hogs or a few Flasher or Fairy Wrasses, maybe both (in smaller numbers obviously). Any comments would be appreciated. I haven't seen many Candy's around.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/thumbs/th-80702-yel-candy-hogfish.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
They are generally very nice reef fish. A couple of friends have them.

Myka
09-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks Anthony. Do you know anyone keeping a trio?

Red Coral Aquariums
09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
We have 1 in stock ATM. A really neat fish and a side note for you Myka it is in a tank with a Blue Assessor
Kevin

JDigital
09-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Myka, I picked up one from Red Coral on the weekend... It is currently in the tank with 2 Clowns, 1 Coral Beauty, and 1 Six Line Wrasse. the only fish who bothered him when I added him were the Clowns. The six line paid absolutely no attention to him... the angel took a nip and that was all.

As for his behavior so far, he's been hiding ever since the clowns let him leave the front corner of the tank. Comes out at feeding though, so I know he's still around.

Gorgeous little fish. The perfect splash of color for any tank. They can be kept in small groups as well if added at the same time.

EDIT: I also have a fairly large "cleaner" (doesn't clean a damn thing!!) shrimp, and the hogfish hasn't bothered him at all...

Myka
09-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok, thanks for the information guys! :)

I just might have to add one to my tank. Thanks for the side note Kevin...good to know he will be ok with my Blue Assessor. I am not ready to add any more fish at this time. I still have fish in my QT waiting to go into my display right now!! :o

JDigital
09-22-2009, 03:51 AM
I've also noticed the past couple nights that he really only comes out of rock hiding when the MH goes off and its just my T5's (Fiji Purple, Actinic+)... Wondering if they might be sensitive to high light?

christyf5
09-22-2009, 04:23 AM
I've got one as well, had him since last December. Great fish and he fit right in with the others nicely. I have him in with a tailspot wrasse and royal gramma (the most likely to have any aggression with IMO) and some other fish and I've had no problems at all. A great little yellow bullet of color in the tank :biggrin:

Dez
09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
I have one in my tank with a mystery wrasse and a solerensis wrasse and a cleaner wrasse, they don't bother each other at all. Other tank mates include regal tang, yellow tang, kole tand, hawkfish, bicolor blenny and clownfish...

I had one years ago in my previous tank and it's a great community fish. From what I've read they are sensitive to high light tanks.

For the first week my guy never really showed himself, now he's out and about all day even when the halides are on full tilt.

This fish was one of my "must have" fish based on my previous experience with it. It is a beautiful fish. Mine had really nice pink colouration in the yellow.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend it in any reef tank...

Myka
09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for more replies!! Now I'm going to seriously think about adding one of these. I am getting closer to capacity though, so I need to think long and hard about the last few additions. :)