PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

Hammer Heads
09-20-2009, 03:37 AM
We are just getting into saltwater fish. We are looking for some frags of nice colorful coral and was wondering what anyone recommended and if anyone was selling some.

Thank you
Hammer Heads :biggrin:

intarsiabox
09-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Welcome to Canreef! There are lots of people who can help you here but we need to know more about your tank before recommending any corals. How long has your tank been set up, what lighting are you using, size of tank, animals already in the aquarium?

saltynuts
09-20-2009, 03:54 AM
need some info, on your tank lights. what are you looking for softies lps or sps.
the peeps here have lots of goodies and will sell you.

Marlin65
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Welcome to canreef. :biggrin:

Hammer Heads
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
We have a 92 gallon tank with a Coralife light. For fish we have a Dog Face Puffer, Voliton Lion fish, Clown fish (like Nemo), Blue Hippo tang,Threadfin Butterfly, Niger trigger, Sixline wrasse. We also have 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 star fish, 2 snails (always under the sand), 3 hermit crabs. If there is any coral you can recommend that would give a tank a nice look please let us know.

Thank you,
Hammer Heads

NuraNori
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi,

We used to have a coral life light (PC right?) and we had great success with zoos, mushrooms and green star polyps. And they can all get super colourful. We tried an acropora but he bleached out and died pretty quick, so I'd stay away from SPS with your light. We never tried LPS with it, so can't say.

But this is all assuming you have PC lighting...

sharuq1
09-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Welcome to Canreef. It is nice to see another person in town getting into the hobby. In order to help you out coral-wise we need to know what type of corals you would like. Are you more into softies, "starter corals", LPS, SPS? What type of lighting do you have?

Just a heads up, some of the fish on your list may get big enough to eat the smaller fish on your list (such as the relatively little clowns and sixline). The butterfly also might pick on corals and the puffer will eat your hermit crabs and snails if he gets the chance.

What type of starfish do you have?

Hammer Heads
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
We want some interesting looking corals. But we have been told about different types of lighting for different corals. We have a Coralife light and these are the bulbs that are in it.

Actinic 96 watt
10000 k 96 watt.

What do you recommend?

Thank you
Hammer Heads

Doug
09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi,

If you're looking for corals, the buy/sell has lots for sale in your area.

General reefing questions would get a lot more response in the reef forum.

and

Welcome to Canreef.

intarsiabox
09-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I personally really like most soft corals and they would do well under your lights. Xenia, kenya Tree, Colt Corals, Mushrooms, Zoanthids to name a few would work. I think a lot of LPS would do all right closer to the top of your tank as well such as Hammer, Torch and Frogspawn corals. You can get a lot of color in the above corals plus I like the swaying motion of the soft and LPS corals as well. Should be no problem finding any of these for sale on this web site. If you don't see it just ask most of this stuff grows fast in good conditions.

Hammer Heads
09-21-2009, 08:36 PM
So we finally found out what lighting we have. It's a T5HO. What coral will grow good with this lighting?

Thank you everyone for your replys to our thread.

Hammer Heads
:biggrin:

MMAX
10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Still looking for corals? I have a massive piece of GSP I need to sell, my 100gal isn't even close to being set up yet and it's gotten too big for my 20gal. If you're interested fire me a PM and I'll try to get you a good pic. The rock it's on is about 6" X 4".

Hammer Heads
10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
If you could get a picture that would be great! How much do you want for it?

MMAX
10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I just sent you a PM

samriggins
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I have some blue mushroom corals, they have purple, blue and teal through them they are very nice and would do well under your lights, i am asking 10.00 a polyp which is about 1/2 the price i paid for them.

The Grizz
12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome to CanReef as sharqu1 said it is nice to see another Red Deerian get into SW.