PDA

View Full Version : LF Exhaust fan

BC Mosaic
09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I've built a hood for my 60g and I have two 250W Moguls that are putting out a lot of heat. I want to install a fan to exit the heat from the side of the hood. Anyone got a quiet fan to sell or can direct me where to buy one?
Appreciate the help.
Cheers

mseepman
09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
NCIX.com sells many different PC fans of all sizes that you could buy and connect to a variable voltage adapter from Radio shack to make a good combo.

I have bought the 120mm silent cat's and I'm really happy with them for what I've done. Good airflow and pretty darn quiet.

barefootjimmy
09-20-2009, 03:29 AM
I've got mine from Princess Auto, they have all sorts in various prices. Just remember to set them up so that they are blowing air into your hood, not sucking air out. They will last way longer because they will be sucking in clean air. When they are sucking out hot, salty air, they tend to die a quick death.

ALBERTA REEF
09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
I suggest have two computor fans on either side of the Hood. Have them set up one put air into the hood and the other one to remove air from the hood.

byee
09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
What is the general consensus on how people have their fans setup ?

I originally had setup both my hood 2x fans pulling air of my hood which resulted in salt creep.

No I have 1 setup to exhaust and the other to pull in room air which has definitely resulted in less salt creep.

Whats the best way and why ??

banditpowdercoat
09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
All fans pushing air into canopy is best. IMHO. Having 2 push, 2 pull, the max airflow is only going to be the sum of 2 of the fans capacity. Having all 4 blow in, and a natural vent at the top, well the flow is now the sum of all the fans CFM Plus, the fans that pull hot humid air will have a shorter live than the fans that push cool clean air

BC Mosaic
09-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow, a lot of info!
Fans blowing air in mean then that the fans are mounted on the outside of the hood. Correct?

I have more questions regarding this but I think I will continue this thread now in the DIY section.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=449381#post449381

banditpowdercoat
09-21-2009, 01:38 AM
No, you can mount them inside, just face them so they suck air into the canopy.