PDA

View Full Version : SPS problems

bullit67
09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
So I am having a problem keeping my SPS alive. I have done all my water test and everyting is OK not perfect but no real problems. I am realy scratching my head on this one. Any ideas would be good I know there are lots of variables that affect corals so \i will list some of the perticulars.

water quality
PH=8.3
Po4=0.01-0.05
No2=0.1-0.2
No3=5.0
NH=0
KH=6-7.5
MG=1000-1100
Ca=400
potasium=325

the system gets 9 hours of PC light 4x96 watt and 6 hours of MH light and PC 3x250 watt
skimming wet getting about 6 cups aday
running the full Zeo system
Using H2O salt

lobsterboy
09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
hey, so are your sps dying, (bleaching out) or is the color fading, ? and how long since the start of the zeo system.

bullit67
09-19-2009, 10:09 PM
completely white no sign of life the zeo has been running now since july 8th so a little over 2 months. I change out the carbon every 30 days and I did the zeo at 4 weeks

fencer
09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Why are these low

KH=6-7.5
MG=1000-1100
Try RBZ salt

Aquattro
09-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Confirm your NO2 levels, these should be 0.

parkinsn
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I was told on the zeo site and by a few other reefers on here that H2Ocean should not be used with the zeo systems as it will kill your corals, i had good results with RC.

Your mg is a little low.

What are you using for zeo product's and how long have you been running the system as John said. you have to bring the zeo system on very slowly at first so you dont shock your corals into the ULNS. I you haven't already join the zeovit site and they will give you great advise on how to start and maintain the system.

Oceanic
09-20-2009, 01:26 AM
So I am having a problem keeping my SPS alive. I have done all my water test and everyting is OK not perfect but no real problems. I am realy scratching my head on this one. Any ideas would be good I know there are lots of variables that affect corals so \i will list some of the perticulars.

water quality
PH=8.3
Po4=0.01-0.05
No2=0.1-0.2
No3=5.0
NH=0
KH=6-7.5
MG=1000-1100
Ca=400
potasium=325

the system gets 9 hours of PC light 4x96 watt and 6 hours of MH light and PC 3x250 watt
skimming wet getting about 6 cups aday
running the full Zeo system
Using H2O salt

No3- a little elevated
KH should not go below 7 DKH and not above 8
MG should be 1350- 1600
CA should be 420 -480
Potassium should be 380-400

STOP H2o salt, use Instant Ocean or Reefer Best if you think it is worth the extra coin (I don't think it is)

TDS on top off water and new water should be ZERO to max 5 TDS

Myka
09-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Calcium and alkalinity are related in a reef, and a balance is very important just like calcium and magnesium have to be at proper ratios to each other for optimum health and absorption. Average NSW values for calcium and alkalinity are 410 ppm and 7 dKH respectively (as per Randy Holmes-Farley).

Balanced calcium and alkalinity levels (as per The Reef Aquarium - Volume III by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek):
350 ppm to 1.4 dKH
375 ppm to 2.1 dKH
400 ppm to 5.6 dKH
425 ppm to 9.1 dKH
450 ppm to 12.6 dKH
475 ppm to 16.1 dKH

Magnesium also plays an important role in calcium and alkalinity uptake, and should be kept at 1350-1400.

Even though your levels are a bit off (not by much), I doubt this is the cause of your corals' demise. I would work on getting the NO3 to "zero", and confirm with a second test kit (at the LFS maybe?) that your NO2 is elevated. NO2 should not be measurable in a reef tank. Even though NO2 at that level (and also much, much higher) is not damaging in a saltwater aquarium (unlike freshwater aquariums where NO2 is very toxic) it is a sign that something is amiss in the tank, and also a tell tale sign that NH3 was recently present at a level that exceeds the nitrifying bacteria's capabilities.

How long has the tank been set up? Could you post a full tank photo?

Ya Dude
09-20-2009, 02:31 AM
how were your corals doing before Zeo system

Snappy
09-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Your Alk & Mag are a little low in my opinion. Can't say this killed your corals as I find when I have problems with corals it is usually a combination of things as I reflect back on what happened. I would try to think of anything you have changed in the past few weeks and if they could have had any kind of impact.

Drock169
09-20-2009, 03:27 AM
zeo spur can kill your corals if overdosed.

bullit67
09-20-2009, 03:39 AM
yes i realize the water isant perfect. I am running the Ca reactor for longer times now it is running both Ca and MG pellets so this should help that. I am a member on the Zeo site and they were very help full in getting started with the zeo system. I havent heard of any problems with H20cean salt and zeo I was told it is a good altenative to reefer best. The system has been running in this form since May it was upgraded from a 265 too a 300 all the same rock plus a few new rocks and a new sand bed. I dont know what has brought my Alk down.

bullit67
09-20-2009, 03:43 AM
I am using zeo spur2 dosing once a week

Navarchus
09-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Who long it takes the corals to perish?

Do you feed them regularly?

Marlin65
09-20-2009, 04:02 AM
What kind of coral are some doing better than others?

lobsterboy
09-20-2009, 04:55 AM
I agree with Coral master.

as well, how much spur2 are you using ?

deep6er
09-20-2009, 05:11 AM
What are your daily temp ranges?

bullit67
09-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Temps are fine it runs a high of 82 with all the lights on and down to 78-79 at night.
I am dosing 15 ml of spur2 once per week it is a 400 gallon system.
all mushrooms are doing fantastic ric's are doing well getting good coraline growth my pink tip eligance is as big as ever some of my sps are not doing too bad and others are still alive but going brown the ones that die seam to be going through a slow painful death it takes about a week or two.the corals get feed with zeo coral vitalizer every night.

ALBERTA REEF
09-20-2009, 05:57 AM
What tip of light are you using? How old are the bulbs? Maybe the bulbs shifted spectrum? Just a thought.

lobsterboy
09-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Temps are fine it runs a high of 82 with all the lights on and down to 78-79 at night.
all mushrooms are doing fantastic ric's are doing well getting good coraline growth my pink tip eligance is as big as ever some of my sps are not doing too bad and others are still alive but going brown the ones that die seam to be going through a slow painful death it takes about a week or two.the corals get feed with zeo coral vitalizer every night.

I dose 2ml of spur2 every week or two, too much can take away all their zooxan alage. maybe try cutting back on this, as well, if you wanted to try just dosing the basic four, start, food, bak and CV. until everything comes back on track. its just a suggustion.
also when i started the zeo, i found that all my coralline died, as the zeo was taking all that extra stuff out of the water.

Stones
09-20-2009, 06:02 AM
I am running the Ca reactor for longer times now it is running both Ca and MG pellets so this should help that.

I found that running the zeomag in my calcium reactor (2 full bags for a 90 gallon tank) didn't do very much to keep my Mg levels elevated. The only way that I was able to keep my Mg levels up was to manually dose once a week or so to keep them above 1350 ppm.

I am a member on the Zeo site and they were very help full in getting started with the zeo system. I havent heard of any problems with H20cean salt and zeo I was told it is a good altenative to reefer best.

I am also a member on that forum and do not recall anyone running into problems specifically related to H2O brand salt. I've read many posts that said it was an excellent alternative to Reefers Best salt as H2O salt has elevated levels of trace elements and Potassium. I'm not too sure why some people are suggesting that it could be the source of your problems as I haven't come across any information stating that you can't run zeo with H2O brand salt.

dawen
09-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I found that running the zeomag in my calcium reactor (2 full bags for a 90 gallon tank) didn't do very much to keep my Mg levels elevated. The only way that I was able to keep my Mg levels up was to manually dose once a week or so to keep them above 1350 ppm.

I am also a member on that forum and do not recall anyone running into problems specifically related to H2O brand salt. I've read many posts that said it was an excellent alternative to Reefers Best salt as H2O salt has elevated levels of trace elements and Potassium. I'm not too sure why some people are suggesting that it could be the source of your problems as I haven't come across any information stating that you can't run zeo with H2O brand salt.

i been using h2o salt with zeo for about 4 months, had no problems with sps, i go thur 3 buckets of salt already, my kh always around 7.5-8, ca 420, mag 1300 from the newly mixed salt

Myka
09-20-2009, 02:41 PM

I noticed that the bottle of Spur2 says to dose every 7-10 days, but on the ZEOvit forums they told me to only dose once every 14-21 days if needed. So, if the corals aren't darkening up, don't use it at all. I would quit using the Spur2 until you can figure out what is going on since Spur2 is only for your own viewing pleasure. From my understanding it isn't for the health of the corals at all.

Did you keep SPS corals successfully before you moved to the bigger tank?

Ya Dude
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
dont forget to accomplish a sustainable system before adding chemicals to your tank that you dont fully understand